Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Advice on Repair options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently had my Tesla 2016 Model S 70 in for balancing at my local shop and they noticed a damaged front lower control arm fore and aft. The invoice for the repair is $1,800 (see pictures and invoice). I have a few questions regarding this repair and would like to hear your feedback and approach on the matter.

1. Do you think Tesla would cover the repair? If so, what would be the best way to approach them?
2. Does the estimate seem to be in the correct ballpark for the Tampa, FL area?
3. Does it make sense to install something else that is not OEM?
4. Should I have the shop install it or have Tesla do it?
The shop also mentioned that I would need to take my car to Tesla for the alignment, as they did not share the details with them.

Thanks

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-01-14 at 10.17.17 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-01-14 at 10.17.17 PM.jpeg
    49.1 KB · Views: 128
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-01-14 at 9.51.51 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-01-14 at 9.51.51 PM.jpeg
    330.2 KB · Views: 66
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-01-14 at 9.51.41 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-01-14 at 9.51.41 PM.jpeg
    226.3 KB · Views: 67
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-01-14 at 9.51.33 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-01-14 at 9.51.33 PM.jpeg
    359.7 KB · Views: 72
I did this repair last year on my 2014 model S for the same reason (torn bushings). In the Boston area, my total cost for replacing the front control arms (fore/aft, both sides) at an independent shop was around $950-1000, not including alignment. Labor was 360. Based on advice from this forum, I decided to use Sidem aftermarket control arms, and these often can be purchased on eBay for ~$130 each. If you can't find Sidem arms, they are also sold under the Beck-Arnley brand name at a slightly higher price (~$200). I recall that I was able to find 3 Sidem arms on eBay and bought 1 Beck-Arnley branded arm from Rock Auto.

This is a job that I would definitely recommend doing at a reputable independent shop, because you will pay a lot more at Tesla SC. Also, there are independent alignment shops who have the alignment data for Teslas (I believe they have to have a certain type of Hunter alignment equipment).

I did this repair last year on my 2014 model S for the same reason (torn bushings). In the Boston area, my total cost for replacing the front control arms (fore/aft, both sides) at an independent shop was around $950-1000, not including alignment. Labor was 360. Based on advice from this forum, I decided to use Sidem aftermarket control arms, and these often can be purchased on eBay for ~$130 each. If you can't find Sidem arms, they are also sold under the Beck-Arnley brand name at a slightly higher price (~$200). I recall that I was able to find 3 Sidem arms on eBay and bought 1 Beck-Arnley branded arm from Rock Auto.

This is a job that I would definitely recommend doing at a reputable independent shop, because you will pay a lot more at Tesla SC. Also, there are independent alignment shops who have the alignment data for Teslas (I believe they have to have a certain type of Hunter alignment equipment).
Thank you so much for the detailed information! I really appreciate it.
ill ask my shop if they can buy it.
This will not affect the allientment if use a non tesla control arms?