Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Advice on selling a Model S in the UK?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Morning everyone,

I currently own a 2016 Model S, with 64k miles and free supercharging for life. I wish to sell it shortly, but am having no luck with traders, as many won't take it as a trade in since the price drops in Jan. The trade offers I have had are low at £18k. I have read on other forums that people have listed on auto trader and not had a single response.

Any advice on the best place to sell, will it sell private or is trade my only option?

Thanks

It's a problem. I'm also considering parting with my 2018s for something simpler that local garages can deal with.
It really comes down to the question of 'would you buy a 5-7 yr old Tesla ' knowing the costs to fix half shafts, lights, screens let alone dents or dings.
There may be a potential market selling to the taxi trade for an airport runsbout with loads of luggage space and comfy customers

Perhaps it's worth holding off if you can. Given that there will be no new RHD Model S coming to the UK ever again, perhaps the value will go up in the coming months?
The problem is I don't want to keep the car out of battery warranty which expires soon. I have 1 year left on the battery warranty and was looking to sell in advance of that.

What sort of price are you looking for? I would have said something around the 35k mark? 18k is definitely taking the p...

I know in the US/Europe Tesla gives 6 years of free Supercharging when trading for a new S/X + $5000 discount. That alone should worth something. Unfortunately the cancelation of RHD here changes that..

I have a 2016 model S but no free supercharging. New ICE cars come with either 3, 5 or 7 years warranty in the UK and yet the majority of people don't batter an eyelid if they continue to hold onto those vehicle outside of the warranty period. EV's are still relatively new to us and it's more of the unknown that's a concern. Early model S's in the states seem to suffer from battery or motor replacements. 2015 onwards appear to be more reliable but who knows. Similar to an ICE you get good one's that could go on forever and others that need a lot of maintenance. The big drop in value is hard to swallow. No new RHD model S may mean existing models value increase but not to levels we have seen before. Supply and demand and there seems to be a lot of supply for sale. However, could no RHD model S make existing ones a potential future classic?

Good result.

As an aside, I imagine dealers are wary as at 8 years the battery and motor warranty ends (about where you are) and they're obliged to provide warranty - so they're chancing a modest profit v a potentially big warranty bill. Did you sell it privately or to a dealer?