TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Advice on service and tires

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by electric_feel, May 28, 2017.

1. electric_feel

electric_feel The Electric Baron

I bought a used 2013 Model S just over 1 year ago. In the first few months, I had some maintenance issues (motor, screen, and some other electronics) that were all fixed under warranty. I probably haven't been to my Tesla service center in at least 6 or 7 months because the car is working just fine.

I don't plan on buying a maintenance plan. Aside from the tires (more on that below), is there anything else maintenance related that I should the car in for?

The other thing I'm curious about is the tires. After how many miles is everyone else rotating their tires? Does everyone bring their Teslas to the service center just to have their tires rotated or replaced, or do you trust a local mechanic/tire store to do that stuff?

2. josher32

josher32 Member

If you have any warranty left on the tires it will void them if you have somebody else rotate or change them.

• Disagree x 1
  3. Tam

Tam Active Member

Please see the table at the page:

Maintenance Plans

Tesla manual says "Tesla recommends rotating the tires every 6250 miles (10,000 km)."

Any competent mechanic can handle Tesla tire service (rotation, flats, replacement, balancing, alignment...)

I live too far from a Tesla Service Center (about 200 miles in North, South, West directions and 360 miles in East direction) so it makes sense for me to arrange tire service locally if it is not time to visit a Tesla Service Center just yet.

4. patrick40363

patrick40363 Member

Not true at all. The warranty will come from a tire dealer not Tesla.

5. gzerninplatz

gzerninplatz Member

I made a sheet to give the tire shop with tesla-specific info...they were appreciative.
    Include :
    21mm 6-pt socket only, hand-tighten first to protect delicate chrome lug nut covers
    torque to 129 ft-lbs, inflate to 45 lbs
    lift only at jack points on outside rails to protect battery

6. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Tires are warrantied by the tire manufacturer, not Tesla (or any other car manufacturer).