Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Advice on service and tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

electric_feel

The Electric Baron
May 29, 2016
SoCal
I bought a used 2013 Model S just over 1 year ago. In the first few months, I had some maintenance issues (motor, screen, and some other electronics) that were all fixed under warranty. I probably haven't been to my Tesla service center in at least 6 or 7 months because the car is working just fine.

I don't plan on buying a maintenance plan. Aside from the tires (more on that below), is there anything else maintenance related that I should the car in for?

The other thing I'm curious about is the tires. After how many miles is everyone else rotating their tires? Does everyone bring their Teslas to the service center just to have their tires rotated or replaced, or do you trust a local mechanic/tire store to do that stuff?

....Aside from the tires...

Please see the table at the page:

Maintenance Plans

...how many miles is everyone else rotating their tires? Does everyone bring their Teslas to the service center just to have their tires rotated or replaced, or do you trust a local mechanic/tire store to do that stuff?

Tesla manual says "Tesla recommends rotating the tires every 6250 miles (10,000 km)."

Any competent mechanic can handle Tesla tire service (rotation, flats, replacement, balancing, alignment...)

I live too far from a Tesla Service Center (about 200 miles in North, South, West directions and 360 miles in East direction) so it makes sense for me to arrange tire service locally if it is not time to visit a Tesla Service Center just yet.

I made a sheet to give the tire shop with tesla-specific info...they were appreciative.
Include :
21mm 6-pt socket only, hand-tighten first to protect delicate chrome lug nut covers
torque to 129 ft-lbs, inflate to 45 lbs
lift only at jack points on outside rails to protect battery