Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Advice on service plans for new Model S 85 (drives 600 miles/week, 31,200 miles/year)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

Recently took delivery of a new Model S85 and we *love* driving this amazing car.

We use it to commute to work (115 miles/day round trip) and also use it on the weekends, so I estimate we'll be putting about 600 miles/week and 32,200 miles/year on the car.

With that in mind, was hoping to get some advice on which (if any) of the Tesla service plans would be right to purchase for our car:

Annual inspection (every year or 12,500 miles): $600
*We'd hit 12,500 miles about 4.5 months from now

Four year prepaid service (one inspection per year, up to 50,000 miles): $1,900
*We'd hit 50,000 miles about 16 months from now

Eight year prepaid service (one inspection per year, up to 100,000 miles): $3,800

. We live nearby the Burbank Service Center in Southern California, so getting to a Service Center quickly is not an issue.

Thanks for the advice! (Apologies that my original thread just cut off, it appears that I accidentally posted it without finishing it -- how embarrassing.)

The "Extended Service Agreement" ($4000) listed on the Tesla site says that it begins on the date when my original warranty expires or at 50,000 miles -- when does the original warranty expire? At 50,000 miles, I'm assuming, or 16 months from now, in our case?

Thanks for the advice! (Apologies that my original thread just cut off, it appears that I accidentally posted it without finishing it -- how embarrassing.)

The "Extended Service Agreement" ($4000) listed on the Tesla site says that it begins on the date when my original warranty expires or at 50,000 miles -- when does the original warranty expire? At 50,000 miles, I'm assuming, or 16 months from now, in our case?
Original expires at 50k or 4 years. You have 30 days to purchase the ESA after the original expires.

I have a Early production Model S, and the ESA has paid for itself at minimum 20x over already.

I'd skip the pre-paid plans and just go ever 25k miles, or once a year or so.

Wait and see on the extended warranty. The early cars have/had a ton of issues, the newer ones could be much better, or they could be the same.

Hello,

Recently took delivery of a new Model S85 and we *love* driving this amazing car.

We use it to commute to work (115 miles/day round trip) and also use it on the weekends, so I estimate we'll be putting about 600 miles/week and 32,200 miles/year on the car.

With that in mind, was hoping to get some advice on which (if any) of the Tesla service plans would be right to purchase for our car:

Annual inspection (every year or 12,500 miles): $600
*We'd hit 12,500 miles about 4.5 months from now

Four year prepaid service (one inspection per year, up to 50,000 miles): $1,900
*We'd hit 50,000 miles about 16 months from now

Eight year prepaid service (one inspection per year, up to 100,000 miles): $3,800

. We live nearby the Burbank Service Center in Southern California, so getting to a Service Center quickly is not an issue.

I do about 30k per year. There are emails from higher-ups floating around out there that Tesla would like to see high-mileage drivers about once a year, even if they put a lot of miles on the car. Feel free to email them directly to get an updated answer.

I would use the servicena email address and then get in touch with your service centers manager. Tell him who you are, how much you love the car, ask if he has any hobbies like professionsl competition bbq'ing, then ask directly about your service schedule as it pertains to the mileage you think you might put on.

I drive about the same amount as you. My average is about 120 miles a day. I had mine for almost 2 years now. I considered the extended warranty and prepayed service plan, but ended up not getting either. With the amount of driving I do, the extended warranty would be over quickly. I would have bought it if it was actually 4 years. But the mileage limit makes it last less than a year for me, so what's the point. If your car has issues they will show up soon and they are covered under warranty.

I did not do the inspections every 12k miles. It really is not worth it and it's not necessary, IMHO. I only did one regular inspection because I had mine at the service center many times fixing issues and problems under warranty. Tesla even says there is no impact on the warranty weather you do the inspections or not. $600 seems high for just checking everything at the car. But at the same time, you are getting a loaner for the time, so that's worth something :)

But in terms of how the car holds up when driving a lot of miles I can't complain. Nothing to worry about. The car really does not need regular service.

We're at ~49,500 miles and we drive about 40,000 miles a year. We're not getting the Extended Warranty because most of the problems that we have had would have been fixed under the 8 year warranty. The things that went wrong with ours were first battery fault, then sunroof sticking, then door handle replacement, and finally drive unit due to be replaced soon. A door handle cost ~800 to replace and per the Technician I shouldn't really be expecting any thing to fail. If anything did it would be one of the door handles he estimated. We figure we'll use the money for the extended warranty to pay for any repairs after the original warranty expires.

We're at ~49,500 miles and we drive about 40,000 miles a year. We're not getting the Extended Warranty because most of the problems that we have had would have been fixed under the 8 year warranty. The things that went wrong with ours were first battery fault, then sunroof sticking, then door handle replacement, and finally drive unit due to be replaced soon. A door handle cost ~800 to replace and per the Technician I shouldn't really be expecting any thing to fail. If anything did it would be one of the door handles he estimated. We figure we'll use the money for the extended warranty to pay for any repairs after the original warranty expires.

I'll be the ghost of Christmas future and warn you I've had 7 door handles.....

At that high an annual mileage, I would purchase the prepaid service plan and take it in once a year. That bring the service down to $450 per 32000 miles, which is not bad.
You can't do that with the pre-paid plan. You must take it in within 1000 miles or 30 days of the service interval. So the most miles you could hold out until would be 13500.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks to everyone who gave their advice! This forum continues to be a great resource for us.

We've decided to wait and see how the car performs and then use that info to decide whether or not we want to purchase the Extended Warranty for $4k after 50,000 miles.
According to this service chart I'd take it in at least every 24k

image.png

- - - Updated - - -

Annual Inspection is not necessary nor required. I highly recommend saving your money and not getting the annual inspection, and instead get the Extended Service Agreement. It will pay for it self.
In your signature what the heck is a P120?

You can't do that with the pre-paid plan. You must take it in within 1000 miles or 30 days of the service interval. So the most miles you could hold out until would be 13500.
While the plan is worded that way, several high ups in Tesla have confirmed that's not the case, and you can use your visits at any time, of course as it's not written in the plan, they can change their mind at any time...

Thanks for all the links, I read every one. I hope that is still the case because Jerome Guillen has been "on leave" for at least 6 months and all those posts are from 2014.