Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Advice on shipping rims/tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

dsm363

Roadster + Sig Model S
May 17, 2009
Nevada
I've done a Google search and found some posts on Corvette and other forums but has anyone already shipped the 21" rims and tires here? What packaging they used, if they found boxes that fit, which carrier they used would be helpful. Thanks.

I've done a Google search and found some posts on Corvette and other forums but has anyone already shipped the 21" rims and tires here? What packaging they used, if they found boxes that fit, which carrier they used would be helpful. Thanks.

Tires already mounted on wheels aren't typically shipped in a box. They are wrapped with bubble wrap, fastened together with strapping, and have a cardboard separator between the two faces if there is a chance they may rub together.

Mine have always come UPS.

A lurker on these forums bought my 21's. He found some very sturdy 30x30x12 boxes that he sent to me. There's less than 2" of clearance in every direction with the wheels in the box.

I took apart of a bunch of smaller shipping boxes and jammed the cardboard in the sides to keep the tires firmly in the boxes. On top, I laid a flat layer of cardboard, then stuffed the remaining space with wadded newspapers. The buyer suggested NOT using styrofoam peanuts as they can scratch.

I haven't finished packing 'em all in and shipping them yet, though.

A lurker on these forums bought my 21's. He found some very sturdy 30x30x12 boxes that he sent to me. There's less than 2" of clearance in every direction with the wheels in the box.

I took apart of a bunch of smaller shipping boxes and jammed the cardboard in the sides to keep the tires firmly in the boxes. On top, I laid a flat layer of cardboard, then stuffed the remaining space with wadded newspapers. The buyer suggested NOT using styrofoam peanuts as they can scratch.

I haven't finished packing 'em all in and shipping them yet, though.

Thanks! Were the boxes U-haul or just a generic box? Trying to figure out easiest place to get that size.

Found this:
Uline: Search Results

Should work but need to order 100 of them. Will keep looking. Thanks.