Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Advice on used Model 3

Which one is the smarter buy?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Trying to decide between two used Model 3's. Still trying to catch up with all the latest updates as I owned a '19 M3 before.
I'm mainly trying to see if the 2021 is the better car in any way.

1. 2021 Model 3 - October 2021 build - $68,000
This is the one with the doors updated, Tesla Vision etc.

2. 2022 Model 3 - January 2022 build (most likely) - $72,500
This one has Ryzen but haven't seen the car yet to confirm the windows, battery etc.

Oh and ya it is in Canadian dollars. So in USD, it's a $3500 difference.

Any advice or feedback would be appreciated!

Last edited:
October 2021 should have center console USB ports with data, January 2022 will not I believe.

Have you verified the January 2022 car actually has MCU3? I think Fremont was still intermittently switching between MCU2 and MCU3 at that point.

What's the mileage on each?

October 2021 should have center console USB ports with data, January 2022 will not I believe.

Have you verified the January 2022 car actually has MCU3? I think Fremont was still intermittently switching between MCU2 and MCU3 at that point.

What's the mileage on each?

Hey, yup the dealer has verified that it has MCU3. Good point on the center console ports - I don't see myself needing music from a usb port but is there any other advantage to having them?

The 2021 has 5000km and the 2022 has 8000km so its fairly close. I think I'm leaning towards the '22 but I just saw some opposing articles about build quality.

Just to be clear... you're considering buying a used vehicle for almost $10k more than the new price. Is it because you don't want to wait in line?

Hi appreciate your thought - I didn't delve into this further in the post because I was only looking at used for these reasons:

1. in my province, used EVs currently have one of the two sales taxes removed.
2. and ya i guess youre also right haha - i don't want to wait in line as there are some people who have been waiting for longer than the projected delivery date this year.

So for comparison, the used one will be 72500 and the new one would come to...I think including destination 76000? so a difference of 3500 Canadian dollars.

Wondering if that changes your view in any way?

If it's lightly used, and cheaper, and cuts out 10 months of waiting... that makes total sense to me.

The numbers are hard for me to understand though... perhaps sales tax in Canada is very high, but it seems like you're referring to the LR price at $76k CAD.

If you're just looking for help deciding between the two... meh, they're both about the same. 😀

Reactions: tm1v2
If it's lightly used, and cheaper, and cuts out 10 months of waiting... that makes total sense to me.

The numbers are hard for me to understand though... perhaps sales tax in Canada is very high, but it seems like you're referring to the LR price at $76k CAD.

If you're just looking for help deciding between the two... meh, they're both about the same. 😀

Sorry, I feel like this is due to my lack of explanation my bad. I included the tax into it...so this is the breakdown.
RWD Model 3 with Grey Exterior (included), White Interior ($1300) and Sport Wheels ($2000) is $65,280.

65,280 + 1980 (Fees) = $67,260
$67,260 X 12% tax = $75,331.20

And then the two connectors are separate from the sales price at the botom

Screen Shot 2022-07-11 at 12.25.32 PM.png

Regardless thanks for responding - any advice is helpful! It sounds like it's a small difference and maybe first-world problems at this point.

Reactions: tm1v2
Trying to decide between two used Model 3's. Still trying to catch up with all the latest updates as I owned a '19 M3 before.
I'm mainly trying to see if the 2021 is the better car in any way.

1. 2021 Model 3 - October 2021 build - $68,000
This is the one with the doors updated, Tesla Vision etc.

2. 2022 Model 3 - January 2022 build (most likely) - $72,500
This one has Ryzen but haven't seen the car yet to confirm the windows, battery etc.

Oh and ya it is in Canadian dollars. So in USD, it's a $3500 difference.

Any advice or feedback would be appreciated!

I did some currency conversion, 2022 $72500 CAD is USD 56006.

And 8600km = 5344 (rounded up to near mile).

I feel like it might be the ok price but without checking the current price online, i feel like you might be able to purchase a brand new M3LR with few thousands CAD more.

I would want to get the LR if I only get one tesla.

I did some currency conversion, 2022 $72500 CAD is USD 56006.

And 8600km = 5344 (rounded up to near mile).

I feel like it might be the ok price but without checking the current price online, i feel like you might be able to purchase a brand new M3LR with few thousands CAD more.

I would want to get the LR if I only get one tesla.

Unfortunately the OP pays 12% sales tax on a new car, but only a portion of that on a used car. That does change the equation a bit. Still seems like a high number for a used RWD.