Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Advice on used Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm looking to purchase my first Tesla and looking at two 2014 MS. One is a P85+ one owner, no AP1, no upgrades, no sunroof with 90k miles. It isn't local and I'll have to do a cross country trek to get it. It's priced at $35k.

The other is a late build Oct 14 MS 85. MCU2 upgrade, AP1, air suspension, door handles replaced, 96k miles and local. 2nd owner and I've negotiated to 30k with the owner replacing the display because it's melting. All service records from Tesla are available.

We make about 4 or 5 350 mile vacation trips a year from Atlanta to Florida.

I'm leaning to the 85 with the upgrades and AP1. Is the P85+ worth the extra money? I think we'll get more use out of the AP and the air suspension.

Just some thoughts from previous owners before I decide to purchase.

Thanks.

Yes, the warranty is still good until Oct 2022. I have a cybertruck tri motor on order so my plan was to utilize the MS until cybertruck starts delivery in 2023.

My other option is to keep looking for a 2015 or 2016 to ensure I have warranty coverage until CT delivery in case it's pushed to 2024.

The + suspension really is great and is also adjustable like the standard air suspension, but AP is also excellent. Even AP1 works very well on the highway. There are no slow Teslas, but the performance models really are a kick in the pants over the standard ones. The 85 is the better value, and if you're hauling the family around multiple times a year, you'll likely appreciate AP more than you will the extra thrust and more responsive handling of the P85+. MCU2 is arguably a requirement these days, so that's another point towards the 85. I flew over 700 miles to Chicago to pick up my car to drive it back. It was a great experience, but objectively adds to the expense of the car.

Prices are certainly jacked up right now due to lack of supply, and that is not expected to correct itself for a year or so if the tea leaves are correct. Unless I had to have a car right now, I think I'd hold off on purchasing one at these inflated prices.

Reactions: jpk195
The + suspension really is great and is also adjustable like the standard air suspension, but AP is also excellent. Even AP1 works very well on the highway. There are no slow Teslas, but the performance models really are a kick in the pants over the standard ones. The 85 is the better value, and if you're hauling the family around multiple times a year, you'll likely appreciate AP more than you will the extra thrust and more responsive handling of the P85+. MCU2 is arguably a requirement these days, so that's another point towards the 85. I flew over 700 miles to Chicago to pick up my car to drive it back. It was a great experience, but objectively adds to the expense of the car.

Prices are certainly jacked up right now due to lack of supply, and that is not expected to correct itself for a year or so if the tea leaves are correct. Unless I had to have a car right now, I think I'd hold off on purchasing one at these inflated prices.
Thank you. That's what I was thinking. I'll keep an eye out for an 85 built similar to the one I found but watch the values until they are corrected.

...to watch Netflix and play video games I presume? Is there anything else MCU1 won't do? Note that with the recall, Tesla will replace the original MCU1 for free, should it break (some restrictions apply of course, but worst case it's a $400 Tegra board replacement).
Yes, you'll get the same, slow MCU1. Breaking character, I opted for the additional cost MCU2 during my recall. The difference in usability is night and day. No I don't use netflix, but I can. Even the internet is usable. But it is the speed of the map update, voice commands and navigation that would be pleasing to practically everyone, almost like a modern computer.

The other is a late build Oct 14 MS 85. MCU2 upgrade, AP1, air suspension, door handles replaced, 96k miles and local. 2nd owner and I've negotiated to 30k with the owner replacing the display because it's melting. All service records from Tesla are available.
Note that with the recall, Tesla will replace the original MCU1 for free, should it break (some restrictions apply of course, but worst case it's a $400 Tegra board replacement).
Are you absolutely certain the second car actually has MCU2?

I think some get confused between the eMMC memory chip replacement on MCU1 versus a full upgrade to MCU2.

The eMMC memory chip replacement is what's subject to free replacement under recall and otherwise is in the ~$500 range. However this does not actually replace the MCU1 unit with MCU2, as while will help with spontaneous reboots, black screens, etc., does not provide any of the added functionality of MCU2.

MCU2 is a $1500 upgrade without radio, $2000 with radio for an AP1 level or older car. It includes full replacement of the MCU PLUS replacement of both the main screen and the screen behind the dash. The fact that you state the second car has the 'screen melting', which I take to mean the adhesive around the edge has deteriorated and the gel between the plates is leading out, leading to bubbles around the edge and gel oozing out. That would tell me that it does not have the MCU2 upgrade yet, but still has the original screens. Now maybe your comment that the original owner has agreed to fix means they are going to do the MCU2 upgrade for you, but I'd get really specific on that as you can just replace the main screen, but still keep MCU1, which would be a lower cost for them. Also, if they are going to do the MCU2 upgrade for you, you want to get specific about whether that is with the added $500 cost to have a new FM radio tuner installed as the base MCU2 replacement will cause you to lose AM/FM/XM radio (you'll still have streaming audio, not just real radio reception).

Also, both these cars being 2014s likely just have 3G and not LTE for cellular connection. The MCU2 upgrade will get you LTE connection which also helps with screen performance for navigation and other functions.

Reactions: gaswalla
I'm looking to purchase my first Tesla and looking at two 2014 MS. One is a P85+ one owner, no AP1, no upgrades, no sunroof with 90k miles. It isn't local and I'll have to do a cross country trek to get it. It's priced at $35k.

We make about 4 or 5 350 mile vacation trips a year from Atlanta to Florida.

I'm leaning to the 85 with the upgrades and AP1. Is the P85+ worth the extra money? I think we'll get more use out of the AP and the air suspension.

Just some thoughts from previous owners before I decide to purchase.

Thanks.
The 85 will be better and more comfortable for your road trips. AP1 is very functional and I think you will enjoy the pano roof. Also, assuming 19” tires on the 85, they are far more practical than the P85+ setup.

...to watch Netflix and play video games I presume? Is there anything else MCU1 won't do? Note that with the recall, Tesla will replace the original MCU1 for free, should it break (some restrictions apply of course, but worst case it's a $400 Tegra board replacement).
I think I tried out a game once while supercharging, but as others said, it's to make the system usable again. i.e. menus, navigation, music, voice inputs, etc. I had my chip replaced in August 2020 and MCU2 done in Feb 2021 since the performance was still terrible. I suppose I could say Tesla shouldn't have screwed up the software to the point that MCU1 was useless in the first place, but being right wasn't going to make it fast again, and I plan to own the car a few more years so I figure I'd get my money's worth. MCU2 will also make the car easier to sell.

A few things off the top of my head:
  • Reliably respond to user touch input
  • Respond in any way to user voice input
  • Not regularly crash or bog down
  • Successfully calculate navigation directions to distant places
I’m sure there are more.
My MCU1 does all of that, except for the reliable voice input, but that sucks on my wife's MCU2 just as much. Perhaps the MCU3 in current Model S does a better job (don't have one, never drove one, so cannot say). Yes, the map scrolling with a finger and tile refill is noticeably faster on MCU2, but honestly, not worth the hassle of the upgrade to me, not to mention the money.

Yes, you'll get the same, slow MCU1. Breaking character, I opted for the additional cost MCU2 during my recall. The difference in usability is night and day. No I don't use netflix, but I can. Even the internet is usable. But it is the speed of the map update, voice commands and navigation that would be pleasing to practically everyone, almost like a modern computer.
I stopped using MCU for internet browsing long ago - my phone does a much better job. Heck, I could buy an iPad for much less than an MCU2 which would do a much better job browsing the web in the car. I read here MCU2 is having issues with the browser lately too, so it might be browsing on MCU2 days are numbered just like MCU1 - used to work fine until next generation MCU came out. There is MCU3 out now. MCU1 updates maps just fine when driving, only if I want to scroll around with my finger does the MCU2 speed show up. I have both MCU's, my wife usually drives the MCU2 car, but I do drive it occasionally and don't see the value really - if it was free, perhaps sub $500 after tax, and I was going to the service center anyways, maybe. Voice commands don't work reliably for me on either MCU1 or MCU2.

Are you absolutely certain the second car actually has MCU2?

I think some get confused between the eMMC memory chip replacement on MCU1 versus a full upgrade to MCU2.

The eMMC memory chip replacement is what's subject to free replacement under recall and otherwise is in the ~$500 range. However this does not actually replace the MCU1 unit with MCU2, as while will help with spontaneous reboots, black screens, etc., does not provide any of the added functionality of MCU2.

MCU2 is a $1500 upgrade without radio, $2000 with radio for an AP1 level or older car. It includes full replacement of the MCU PLUS replacement of both the main screen and the screen behind the dash. The fact that you state the second car has the 'screen melting', which I take to mean the adhesive around the edge has deteriorated and the gel between the plates is leading out, leading to bubbles around the edge and gel oozing out. That would tell me that it does not have the MCU2 upgrade yet, but still has the original screens. Now maybe your comment that the original owner has agreed to fix means they are going to do the MCU2 upgrade for you, but I'd get really specific on that as you can just replace the main screen, but still keep MCU1, which would be a lower cost for them. Also, if they are going to do the MCU2 upgrade for you, you want to get specific about whether that is with the added $500 cost to have a new FM radio tuner installed as the base MCU2 replacement will cause you to lose AM/FM/XM radio (you'll still have streaming audio, not just real radio reception).

Also, both these cars being 2014s likely just have 3G and not LTE for cellular connection. The MCU2 upgrade will get you LTE connection which also helps with screen performance for navigation and other functions.
Tesla did (possibly still does) MCU2 upgrades where they reuse your actual screen. That is not to say I disagree with your that it's worth checking, just saying it is possible (you can find examples here on TMC, it was when the upgrade was more expensive, some people got a discount by reusing the screen).

I stopped using MCU for internet browsing long ago - my phone does a much better job. Heck, I could buy an iPad for much less than an MCU2 which would do a much better job browsing the web in the car. I read here MCU2 is having issues with the browser lately too, so it might be browsing on MCU2 days are numbered just like MCU1 - used to work fine until next generation MCU came out. There is MCU3 out now. MCU1 updates maps just fine when driving, only if I want to scroll around with my finger does the MCU2 speed show up. I have both MCU's, my wife usually drives the MCU2 car, but I do drive it occasionally and don't see the value really - if it was free, perhaps sub $500 after tax, and I was going to the service center anyways, maybe. Voice commands don't work reliably for me on either MCU1 or MCU2.
I did mine a few months ago, and I was skeptical prior to the decision. For me, the difference is no contest. Like I said, I don't use the internet or netflix or youtube at all after an initial try-it-out. However, the map and traffic updates are measurably improved to what anyone would expect from their own computer, and the voice command icon no longer takes its time to come up only to spin around forever. It does what I ask of it, practically right away.

Last edited:
X2 on this. I was in a loaner for a week with the old MCU1. It was painful how slow and clunky it was. I was really surprised. It felt like finding an old tablet in your closet from 10 years ago and firing up for fun just to realize how slow it really was.