Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Advice on what to do with my 2011 Roadster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Greetings Tesla community after many years,

I come seeking your advice. Two kids later, my 2011 Roadster has been off the road sat in the garage at my house in the UK for a few years. (this roadster), and am shortly going to get a Model Y.

Its a painful thing to consider, but I think I probably ought to sell it. It probably needs a little attention, but was in perfect working order when I drove it into the garage... 4 years ago now. 27k on the clock, all original.

I am in a dilemma of whether to trade it in with Tesla, or try and spruce it up for a private sale (bearing in mind I have very little time on my hands).

Please could anybody in the know suggest the best thing to do?

Warm regards,
Tim

Hey Tim,

That’s a tough one. I was recently at the Baltimore service center and saw 4 roadsters in the back that had been traded in. My guess is that Tesla is pulling those cars out of circulation (maybe for parts?) but who knows. It was kind of sad to be honest. But more to your question, I am skeptical that the trade-in would properly value your car these days and that you would get a better price through a private sale (if you have the time to put into that).

Good luck!
Paul

Greetings Tesla community after many years,

I come seeking your advice. Two kids later, my 2011 Roadster has been off the road sat in the garage at my house in the UK for a few years. (this roadster), and am shortly going to get a Model Y.

Its a painful thing to consider, but I think I probably ought to sell it. It probably needs a little attention, but was in perfect working order when I drove it into the garage... 4 years ago now. 27k on the clock, all original.

I am in a dilemma of whether to trade it in with Tesla, or try and spruce it up for a private sale (bearing in mind I have very little time on my hands).

Please could anybody in the know suggest the best thing to do?

Warm regards,
Tim
DO NOT trade it in to Tesla. Sell it privately.

DO NOT trade it in to Tesla.
giphy.gif

If recent auction results are any indication, perhaps consider going that route and consigning to one of them. A private sale could work too but won't garner you the same audience. But as others have said, while it's convenient and the path of least effort...

DO NOT TRADE IT IN TO TESLA(!!!)

...as it will be cannibalized for parts and never see the road again. If you need proof of what the future of your lovely car will be in the hands of the OEM, behold below how Tesla treated a Sig 100 in San Rafael by leaving it to rot in the elements (photo credit to @jaanton). For more neglect, take a look here.

img_20210922_104436-jpg.712941

Hey Tim,

That’s a tough one. I was recently at the Baltimore service center and saw 4 roadsters in the back that had been traded in. My guess is that Tesla is pulling those cars out of circulation (maybe for parts?) but who knows. It was kind of sad to be honest. But more to your question, I am skeptical that the trade-in would properly value your car these days and that you would get a better price through a private sale (if you have the time to put into that).

Good luck!
Paul
You are right, the SC in Columbus OH had one getting cannibalized, it is harder and harder to find parts to repair them, so Tesla repletes stock in this way.

Thanks all for your advice, I will take it, and try to find a buyer who cares about it.

Big applause. I loved mine but was having a hard time justifying ownership. I was lucky enough to have @Retiredeh make a reasonable offer and #609 found a new home. There are a couple good Tesla-specific sales sites, including here that have people interested. I also sold a Model S on Autotrader and a Model X on Facebook. Worth listing in all those places.

Reactions: felixtb