Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Advice pls with existing 220 outlet

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks in advance to those who respond.

I just received 22 M3LR and have MYP on order. In my garage I have existing 220v outlet on dedicated 50amp circuit. What wall connector should I buy to be able to charge both vehicles? (not necessarily at the same time). Attached is the existing outlet.
220 outlet.jpeg

To add to @Lloyd be sure to get to get the mobile connector pigtail for the 14-50 if you haven’t already.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
Also should look into swapping out the existing outlet for an industrial grade Hubbell 14-50 outlet. The one in your pic looks old and worn out, not good for EV charging. See also the master 14-50 discussion thread below.

Also should look into swapping out the existing outlet for an industrial grade Hubbell 14-50 outlet. The one in your pic looks old and worn out, not good for EV charging. See also the master 14-50 discussion thread below.

Or at last minimize plugging/unplugging from that outlet until you get it upgraded.

If you plan on buying two Teslas and you don't need a 240 volt receptacle for other things like an RV, then I would install a Wall Connector on that existing circuit (replacing the receptacle). This will charge the cars 25% faster than the mobile connector, which could come in handy if both cars need to be recharged on the same day.

If you decide that a Wall Connector isn't right for you and you want to use one of the Mobile Connectors that come with the cars, definitely upgrade that receptacle to a Hubbell, Bryant or Cooper brand.

I did exactly that. Went to Lowes, picked up a Legrand and corresponding outlet box. 1/2 later I was done.

I did stop by the Tesla svc center and grab the 14-50 pigtail.