Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Advice/Poll: Pick up Plaid with VIN, delivery date and 10k more expensive or wait for order that has no VIN assigned?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ekimsurfer

Slingshot Engage
Oct 9, 2017
Florida
I ordered a Plaid+ in Jan 2021. This order was randomly downgraded to Plaid at $119k price with $4500 21 inch arachnids/black exterior/cream interior/Carbon fiber.
In June I ordered a different one at the $129k price, black exterior, wood grain/cream/tempest 19inch wheels.

Got a VIN and delivery date for more expensive model (shocker) scheduled to get it Sunday.

Should I just bite the 10k extra bullet or wait for delivery of the model I ordered in JANUARY. Showing a delivery time frame of Sept 9-29 but no VIN assigned so I am hesitant given Tesla’s track record.

Call Tasla and ask them to match your original order to the car you have the vin for, and that is available. I bet they do it if you’re nice but insistent. This has a better chance of happening if the configurations are the same, or close to the same.

Call Tasla and ask them to match your original order to the car you have the vin for, and that is available. I bet they do it if you’re nice but insistent. This has a better chance of happening if the configurations are the same, or close to the same.
Unfortunately I tried this several times and they said they would absolutely not do this. We all know how much they excel at customer service there. I have debated even getting it many times solely based on their company policies and customer service experience.

I ordered a Plaid+ in Jan 2021. This order was randomly downgraded to Plaid at $119k price with $4500 21 inch arachnids/black exterior/cream interior/Carbon fiber.
In June I ordered a different one at the $129k price, black exterior, wood grain/cream/tempest 19inch wheels.

Got a VIN and delivery date for more expensive model (shocker) scheduled to get it Sunday.

Should I just bite the 10k extra bullet or wait for delivery of the model I ordered in JANUARY. Showing a delivery time frame of Sept 9-29 but no VIN assigned so I am hesitant given Tesla’s track record.
I don't know about you but if the original order has Sep 9 to Sep 29 delivery date I would wait for three weeks and save $10,000.

FYI - similar situation.

I ordered a Plaid+ a few weeks after they opened up (blue, cream, 19"). It converted to a Plaid with mid-Sep delivery. After the Plaid+ -> Plaid conversion I tried calling to change it to a Silver, and kept getting cut off. So I placed another order, didn't notice it was at the $10k higher price initially. Had intended to get someone on the phone to cancel the original and move the price or change config of the original but got distracted by life+work.

On Sep 2 that one came in (I'm in Seattle). I tried getting a price adjustment, no dice. After a week of ignoring them when they repeatedly wouldn't honor the old price + cancel the original order, they pushed it for 30 days.

Then the original order got a VIN and was going to be ready for delivery so I accepted that a few days ago.

Reactions: Vick sandhu
FYI - similar situation.

I ordered a Plaid+ a few weeks after they opened up (blue, cream, 19"). It converted to a Plaid with mid-Sep delivery. After the Plaid+ -> Plaid conversion I tried calling to change it to a Silver, and kept getting cut off. So I placed another order, didn't notice it was at the $10k higher price initially. Had intended to get someone on the phone to cancel the original and move the price or change config of the original but got distracted by life+work.

On Sep 2 that one came in (I'm in Seattle). I tried getting a price adjustment, no dice. After a week of ignoring them when they repeatedly wouldn't honor the old price + cancel the original order, they pushed it for 30 days.

Then the original order got a VIN and was going to be ready for delivery so I accepted that a few days ago.
So, you have been waiting a year?!