Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Advice: Record Yourself Doing a Visual Inspection of Your Car Before Handing Over for Service

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

IAmNotARobot

M3LR: Tony Spark
Aug 23, 2021
Uk
Let me just start by saying, I've only ever used Park Royal SC so perhaps it differs at other locations.

As the title suggests; if you have a drop and go appointment when you arrive at the SC, record yourself doing your own visual inspection of your car from bumper to bumper. Make notes of any existing damages it already has, also make sure to film the location so it's obvious you're at the SC. If you have a waiting appointment, I highly suggest you record your vehicle check at the same time they do their "inspection". This will hopefully avoid any disputes should you find any new damage to your car.

***** LONG ANECDOTE INCOMING *****

My reasoning? Well, when I had an Audi and took it in for an appointment at a dealership, they would do a fairly detailed inspection of the car in my presence and note down any damages they could see. They would look at each alloy in detail, check the paintwork for dents, scratches scuffs etc. I would then have to sign off on what they found and I'd be on my way.

With Tesla (at least at PR SC) their "inspection" consists of walking around the car taking multiple photos at different angles (from afar, with a tablet!) only looking for glaringly obvious signs of damage, and that's about it. What's made things worse is that with their new appointment system, you just drop off your car and go, they'll do their inspection whenever they get around to it, in my last case an hour after I left (checked the sentry footage).

I picked up my car today and noticed a scratch on the front wheel arch, running along the front door. I had taken the car to get washed 2 days before my appointment and in between that, I charged it at the supermarket and I do not remember seeing any damage when did my usual public car park vehicle check (yes, I'm that anal).

When I went back to tell the advisor what I found, they pulled up their photos, but were so quick to dismiss that the damage was caused by them. When I pointed out that it's not showing on their photos, the response was that the scratch is fairly light it wouldn't show up on the photos (do you see why I recommend recording your own detailed inspection?) Of course scuffs and scratches are not likely to show up on tablet photos. Because I wasn't 100% sure that perhaps the scratch was there before the appointment, I didn't want to argue in a case of he says, she says.

Because I'm not 100% sure it wasn't caused before the appointment, with their flawed "inspection" methods, that also means there is a chance it was caused at the SC. I'm just kicking myself and so annoyed that I didn't think to do a check of my car before I left the SC.

Fingers crossed I can buff out the scratches myself.

Unless it was a bodyshop job would you really want them trying to polish out scratches anyway? If it's a light scratch as you say it'll go easily, I would rather do it myself.

It's inevitable you will get light marks over time; you just need to either ignore or deal with them.

• Disagree
Reactions: ACarneiro
Unless it was a bodyshop job would you really want them trying to polish out scratches anyway? If it's a light scratch as you say it'll go easily, I would rather do it myself.

It's inevitable you will get light marks over time; you just need to either ignore or deal with them.
I'd probably look at having them reimburse me for the cost of repair.

When I say light I meant, because the car is white, its not as visible. This scratch is definitely into the basecoat, and is about 1m in total length. So not exactly a minor thing.

Yes it's true, over time you should expect blemishes and marks here and there but not if you're leaving your car in the "care" of the SC, you should expect to get the car back in the same condition you left it with them.

My main issue is just how quick they were to deny liability, especially when their "inspection" is just a bunch of photos and a quick walk around. What was so ridiculous about their dismissiveness, the advisor didn't even know what works were done on my car. He literally checked the service notes AFTER he claimed "this is not something we could have done based on the works"

Reactions: MrBadger