Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Advice request: used P100D vs used 100D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am torn between two used cars with kind of similar pricing and would appreciate this group’s feedback. Here are the specs:

P100D
60k km
May 2017 delivery
21” summer tires, 19” winter tires
All options except sunroof and FSD
Red exterior and beige interior
Buying from an individual

100D
20k km
Dec 2017 delivery
19” winter tires only
Sunroof
No high fidelity sound
Black inside and outside
Buying from a third party dealer

The price of the P100D is 9k more and I’m struggling to make up my mind. The P100D is locally available while the 100D is about a 2 hour journey away. Help please!

I don't know that there is a right answer. For me, it's easy because of what my most important criteria is... RANGE.

So, I would take the 100D for the following reasons:

1. Better Range
2. Less KM
3. Cheaper
4. 19" tires vs. 21" tires = better range on 19" tires.
5. Love my sunroof.
6. Range.
7. Did I mention, Range?

As for the lack of UHFS... I think if that is really important to you, you can upgrade to Light Harmonic system which is at least as good (and probably better). However, lets say speed, power and excitement are your top criteria... can't really beat the P. Not that the 100D is any slouch but obvioulsy the P100D is in a different league where launch is concerned.

The P100D seems like a much better deal to me. I wouldn't be too concerned about the mileage. The warranty is unlimited miles. Plus it's red instead of black :cool:

My only concern is the private party sale. I'm not sure how that works in terms of payment for such a large dollar amount. Do you just write the guy a check? Hand him a box of cash? How do you trust each other?

Reactions: 1375mlm
It all depends on what you want to do with the car. Is it a family hauler? Is it a commuter? Is it your play toy?

Remember, saving $9k is more savings to allow you to switch your other car to a Model 3

Thanks for the advice so far - I can tell it isn’t a no brained. The car is for the family. I don’t plan on launching with two small kids in the back and facing the potential wrath of my wife. We will only have 1 car since I commute with public transport (meaning my wife will be the most frequent driver and she doesn’t care how fast it goes). I’m based in Switzerland now and extended warranties are sold through Allianz. I should check whether cars sold through a dealer qualify for extended warranties. As far as transferring money goes, it isn’t really an issue. There are escrow services here that charge something like $50 to ensure title is transferred at the same time as funds released.

Thanks for the advice so far - I can tell it isn’t a no brained. The car is for the family. I don’t plan on launching with two small kids in the back and facing the potential wrath of my wife. We will only have 1 car since I commute with public transport (meaning my wife will be the most frequent driver and she doesn’t care how fast it goes). I’m based in Switzerland now and extended warranties are sold through Allianz. I should check whether cars sold through a dealer qualify for extended warranties. As far as transferring money goes, it isn’t really an issue. There are escrow services here that charge something like $50 to ensure title is transferred at the same time as funds released.

Based on this... definitely the 100D.

I agree with the above post 100% def. seems like the 100D would be the way to go for you....I know if it was me I'd get the 100D because it has more options and lower mileage and it's cheaper! (I mean who doesn't like to save from time to time:)).....but then again the P100D does have free supercharging....honestly go with whatever you WANT.

Last edited:
I am the owner of a 2018 P100D..............I didn't think twice about the decision, especially since the 100D only gets about 20 more miles per full charge than the P. Top it off with free supercharging and if it were my choice, it would be a no brainer to go for the P100D. In the long run, you must look at your wallet to see if you can afford it. Don't forget to shop the differences in insurance as well?

And in the end, no matter what choice you end up making............ENJOY!

Reactions: Pinot.Noir
I forgot to mention that the P100D has free suoercharging for life while the 100D has 400kWh per year

make sure you verify this with tesla.

FUSC last time i knew only applied to original owner for the life of the car.
The moment u change owners, you will lose it unless the car was bought as a CPO.

Also i would find out if extended warrenty is transferable.

If it is, i would higly recommend you ask the original owner to add it and put it in the purchase price before you bought it, as once you buy the car from him, all options at the extended warranty is out the door.

Tesla's are expensive to repair, and the extended warranty is cheap for insurance incase something happens.
Getting the MCU replaced once, is enough to net the cost of the insurance.

• Disagree
Reactions: MorrisonHiker
The moment u change owners, you will lose it unless the car was bought as a CPO.

Depends on what time the referral was. There was a period of time where free supercharging was tied to the car, regardless of change in ownership and then it was later changed to being tied to one owner for that car only so it went away as soon as the car changed hands.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
make sure you verify this with tesla.

Any S or X that was ordered before 1/15/17 has Supercharging that transfers to the new owner. If the P100D was ordered before that date, then Supercharging would transfer.