Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Advice to Help Me Get A Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

M67v

I just work here
Sep 2, 2014
Reading, PA
It's no secret that (especially to those who know me personally) that I desperately want a Tesla. I don't care if it's new, or pre-owned; or if it has Autopilot or not or anything like that. Actually, if I had to get a Tesla Model S or X, it has to have a 70 kwh battery or better and it needs to have at least the Tech package or better. Also, while I don't necessarily mind the Carbon Fiber Decor, I can certainly do without it.
Anyways, it's pretty obvious why anyone would want a Tesla, but what I want is advice or tips on how to make a lot of money fast, because nobody is going to flat out hand over a $50,000+ car. I joined TMC because I'm a Tesla fan, but actually owning one of these cars and being part of the community would mean the world to me.

Last edited:
For me, it's travel, I travel a good bit for work (engineer for the navy). A lot of times I travel because I volunteer to, not need to... Anyway, I live simply when on travel and pocket the per diem and the money I receive for driving my own car (52 cents a mile). I keep that in an account and it makes part of the payment on the tesla, bringing the monthly expense down to the cost of a regular ICE car

It's no secret that (especially to those who know me personally) that I desperately want a Tesla. I don't care if it's new, or pre-owned; or if it has Autopilot or not or anything like that. Actually, if I had to get a Tesla Model S or X, it has to have a 70 kwh battery or better and it needs to have at least the Tech package or better. Also, while I don't necessarily mind the Carbon Fiber Decor, I can certainly do without it.
Anyways, it's pretty obvious why anyone would want a Tesla, but what I want is advice or tips on how to make a lot of money fast, because nobody is going to flat out hand over a $50,000+ car. I joined TMC because I'm a Tesla fan, but actually owning one of these cars and being part of the community would mean the world to me.

Learn to develop software

For most people, $50,000 doesn't just show up quickly. Unless, you A) are already rich or B) begin a life of crime.
So, it looks like you may have to do it like everyone else. Set a goal for how much money you need. Work a job (or more than one job) and save/invest the money. Budget appropriately. Set your expectations in life to a reasonable level. When you reach your goal, reward yourself with your hard earned money. This is how life is supposed to work.

Over the course of many years, here are something i learnt to enjoy luxury items...

#1 Money to make more money
#2 Appreciating asset cash, depreciating asset lease

In plain english..

#1 Have fun with your cashflow but allow your cash to grow. Maintain a steady of saving and spending money.
#2 You can afford a 50K car. When you have 50K cash/investment and your cashflow allows you to make the payment.
#3 Discipline, the idea of paying cash for a car seems proud and honourable. But cash is king on a rainy day... so never let that go.

Thats why, rich people all have debts... you are playing with the asset:debt ratio just like a corporation...

From the time I decided I really wanted to get a Tesla until the time it finally happened (or will happen, in about 2 weeks) was about 3 years (and I already had a career in place when I started). If you are not already wealthy, it is not going to happen fast. Just keep working at it. Save money, build your career, and build on your credit history. More Tesla options will open up as time goes by (used cars, new cheaper models, etc).

Good luck!

Buying a home and paying off the mortgage is far more important than any car. If you don't think that way, you are short changing your own future. I love the Tesla, but no way I'd consider this sort of purchase if I still had a mortgage. Just my 2 cents.