TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Advice Travelling the I-81 Corridor?

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by DiamondDave, Aug 13, 2016.

1. DiamondDave

DiamondDave Member

I'm taking my first Tesla road trip tomorrow! Travelling from Maryland to Alabama, planning on taking the I-81 corridor. A perusal of threads here has given me a few tips. For example, EV Trip Planner has us charging in Knoxville just enough to get to Chattanooga and then spending a lot of time at Chattanooga. There are a lot of restaurants and other amenities in Knoxville while the Chattanooga supercharger is at an airport with the expected over-priced options. So we're planning on eating in Knoxville and then topping offf in Chattanooga to head into the supercharger desert in Alabama.

Also, Wytheville to Knoxville is a long jump, I'll have to watch my range.

What tips do you have for travelers along I-81?

Thanks!

2. kort677

kort677 Active Member

be aware of the elevation changes especially on your return trip, plan to charge at 20% more than you are told that you need when in the mountainous areas.

3. PA70D

PA70D Member

We have traveled to Greenville, SC early on with our car in the winter. No issues at least through Wythville. Since that time we have taken many long trips and the only recommendation I have is to use the navigation system with the energy trip calculator displayed. If early in the trip it shows you are going to arrive at a destination below where you are comfortable slow down. That particular tool works amazing well year around. Enjoy the trip

4. DiamondDave

DiamondDave Member

Thanks guys. I was wondering about elevation. I thought EV Trip Planner took that into account but I'll find out how well. I'm definitely being conservative since it's my first trip. I'll probably be driving the speed limit in Alabama to stretch out the range.

It's been ridiculously hot here in the DC area the last few days and I'm hoping it's cooler in the mountains and the south because I've been using energy like crazy running the A/C.

5. kort677

kort677 Active Member

try to keep the wh/miles under 350, I've found that sticking to between 70-75 is a good balance between speed and range.