Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Advice Travelling the I-81 Corridor?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm taking my first Tesla road trip tomorrow! Travelling from Maryland to Alabama, planning on taking the I-81 corridor. A perusal of threads here has given me a few tips. For example, EV Trip Planner has us charging in Knoxville just enough to get to Chattanooga and then spending a lot of time at Chattanooga. There are a lot of restaurants and other amenities in Knoxville while the Chattanooga supercharger is at an airport with the expected over-priced options. So we're planning on eating in Knoxville and then topping offf in Chattanooga to head into the supercharger desert in Alabama.

Also, Wytheville to Knoxville is a long jump, I'll have to watch my range.

What tips do you have for travelers along I-81?

Thanks!

We have traveled to Greenville, SC early on with our car in the winter. No issues at least through Wythville. Since that time we have taken many long trips and the only recommendation I have is to use the navigation system with the energy trip calculator displayed. If early in the trip it shows you are going to arrive at a destination below where you are comfortable slow down. That particular tool works amazing well year around. Enjoy the trip

Thanks guys. I was wondering about elevation. I thought EV Trip Planner took that into account but I'll find out how well. I'm definitely being conservative since it's my first trip. I'll probably be driving the speed limit in Alabama to stretch out the range.

It's been ridiculously hot here in the DC area the last few days and I'm hoping it's cooler in the mountains and the south because I've been using energy like crazy running the A/C.

Thanks guys. I was wondering about elevation. I thought EV Trip Planner took that into account but I'll find out how well. I'm definitely being conservative since it's my first trip. I'll probably be driving the speed limit in Alabama to stretch out the range.

It's been ridiculously hot here in the DC area the last few days and I'm hoping it's cooler in the mountains and the south because I've been using energy like crazy running the A/C.
try to keep the wh/miles under 350, I've found that sticking to between 70-75 is a good balance between speed and range.

how did your trip go, DiamondDave?

i am going from DC area to Nashville this summer on I-81. i'm wondering how that Wytheville to Knoxville leg was. almost 200 miles. i'll be in a P100D Model X with 22" rims. i think if i charge to 100% in Wytheville, keep speed at 70mph, and go easy on the A/C, i should make it ok.

Congrats on your P100D Model X @DillyBop. Wow!

On the way down, we hit Wytheville at lunchtime, ate at Shoney's, and had charged to 100%, or at least close, by the time we finished. No problem at all making it to Knoxville. I generally drive at speed limit +5 or 10 and I kept the air conditioner on, though I don't recall how hot it was. I imagine you have more range than my 260ish rated miles at 100%.

There are a lot of restaurant options at the supercharger location in Knoxville. My family likes Blaze Pizza. Not so many options in Wytheville, but Shoney's was OK.

Typically, you would have more problems with range in the winter when it's cold out and the battery has to be kept warm and regenerative braking may not allow for the maximum allowed energy recovery. If your car is garage kept, your battery is already warm and the outside temperatures are above 30 degree F, you should be able to do 200 miles, no problem. Enjoy the trip!