Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Advice wanted. Car arrives tonight. Should i take 230 mile trip tomorrow.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
have a trip, Baltimore to Pittsburgh tomorrow. With me, if things can go wrong, they will. Downtown Pittsburgh, i should be able to charge.
Should i take the trip tomorrow?

What do you guys think?

Thanks

Sure. Make sure you do a standard charge as soon as you get the car and then finish with a range charge about 90 minutes before you leave and drive with the car in range mode and maybe use heated seats if you are cold. Bring your UMC (cable that comes with the car) and double check when the car is delivered that they included the 110V, J1772 and the NEMA 14-50 adapters. Also, identify one or two public chargers (if there are any) or an RV park or two and call them today about possibly stopping there to charge, how much they would charge you for an hour or two if you need it, just as backup.

Since it's your first big trip in the car, might be worth stopping someplace anyway for an hour to charge if you can if there is something easy on your way until you get a better sense of things. If you think you won't make it based on the projected range average over the last 30 miles then slow down if possible. If you can travel 60 or 65mph instead of 70 or 75 then that will make a big difference. Good luck and congrats!

Check out
Your Questions Answered | Tesla Motors

Last edited:
have a trip, Baltimore to Pittsburgh tomorrow. With me, if things can go wrong, they will. Downtown Pittsburgh, i should be able to charge.
Should i take the trip tomorrow?

What do you guys think?

Thanks

I took a 230 miles trip this weekend, and it was easy...with the caveat that it was between 70-80 degrees here, completely flat, and I did not let my speed get above 60mph.

There are a few Nissan dealerships close to Baltimore that might be on your way which is about where you'd run out if you didn't judge your speed properly and a college too. I'd call them first to see if they'll allow you to charge there though. That said, I agree with aviators99 that if you can keep your speed to 60mph, set cruise control and enjoy the ride it shouldn't be a problem. Always nice to have a backup though.

Hamilton Nissan
Hagerstown, MD 21740 J-1772

Fitzgerald Nissan
Chambersburg, PA 17201 J-1772

Federick Community College - Visual and Performing Arts Center

Frederick Nissan
Frederick, MD 21704

I did ~240 miles this weekend, 120 each way with an overnight at my parents. Even with a range charge I wouldn't have made it based on ~70 mph and using the HVAC. If you've got somewhere to charge during your visit to regain ~60 miles of range, you should be fine.

A couple things: watch your energy monitor and keep comparing the projected to the ideal. It will give you a better idea of how your driving is affecting range.

@dsm is correct - seat heaters use less power than heavy HVAC usage.

Draft behind trucks if possible - you won't believe how much this helps range on long trips. Also, it gives you an excuse and protection to go slower than the speed limit. Slower than 70 helps a lot with range.

Good luck - I love driving long distances in this car because of the 'game-like' aspects...much more interesting than driving a petrol car.

And, as well as charging in range mode, set the car to drive in range mode as well.

double check when the car is delivered that they included the 110V, J1772 and the NEMA 14-50 adapters.

definitively this. I don't think about range much right now but I sure would want to be able to use every option I could if my first trip was going to be that long. That and I didn't get the J1772 adapter yet :smile:

Not sure what the temperatures are like there but if you can try to make sure your charging ends or is almost finished at the time you want to leave. I have noticed a decent difference in range when the battery needs to heat itself but if its charging it will be warmed up prior to leaving.

Baltimore? Be careful - cold weather!!!

From personal experience, driving at 55 mph, full Range mode charge, and Range mode heating at sub-freezing temperatures the car is good for about 220 miles. You could try it at 50 mph with the heat off altogether (seat heater is okay) and you might make it. Bring a hand scraper in case the windows start to frost up!

Don't attempt the trip unless you can identify a charging location KNOWN TO WORK and have lots of time to wait for it.

Keep the energy app on the touchscreen and keep an eye on the Projected range (be sure to select Average). Use the GPS to get your distance remaining, and keep the Projected number higher than the distance! If it's going the wrong way then slow down, turn off everything but the seat heater, and if necessary stop to charge. Expect to charge for at least a couple of hours.

If you can do the above, then by all means go for it! I did a longer trip than that to bring my car home. But don't approach it casually.