Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Advice wanted. Car arrives tonight. Should i take 230 mile trip tomorrow.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My I respectfully suggest you ignore those from California who are telling you to "just go for it"? They don't understand the cold weather impacts.

Expect to get 80% of Rated Range (265 miles) if you use Range driving mode (limits heating) and a full Range Mode charge. You will fall short unless you plan for a charging stop.

Be warned that many RV campgrounds close for the winter. Don't trust the various charge point databases - call to confirm that the charger actually exists, isn't broken, is available to the public, and doesn't require getting some kind access card that you don't have.

I do think you should go for it... but you need to have your route planned (keep speeds down to 50 to 55 mph) and have a place to stop to charge.

Btw, although the Chargepoint.com website and app show you where all of the Chargepoint chargers are and *attempt* to know whether they work or not, it is not always correct about how operational they are. One thing I discovered that was very useful is that if you call Chargepoint, they can tell you what day and time a station was last used. This won't tell you whether a station is broken, but can tell you it was recently working, which is more than nothing.

My I respectfully suggest you ignore those from California who are telling you to "just go for it"? .....

Humboldt isn't California...:cool:

I would use a 2/3 of Ideal miles for a safe range #. I usually get < 400 Whr/ mile on a longer trip but add in hills and climate and it is somewhere around there

use a 1hr charge on 40A 240V if you can, or drive slower than 65 mph I see 310-315 Whr / mile at 55-56 mph.

Last edited:
My I respectfully suggest you ignore those from California who are telling you to "just go for it"? They don't understand the cold weather impacts.

<snip>

I do think you should go for it... but you need to have your route planned (keep speeds down to 50 to 55 mph) and have a place to stop to charge.

Heyyyy.... I also said to have backup plans, etc. There was no 'throw caution to the wind'. -grumble he forgets I'm a Minnesota girl grumble-

Be warned that many RV campgrounds close for the winter. Don't trust the various charge point databases - call to confirm that the charger actually exists, isn't broken, is available to the public, and doesn't require getting some kind access card that you don't have.

That's a great point.

nolngrgrsngslde: Go ahead and sign up for ChargePoint and Blink charge cards now. The cards won't arrive in time but I think you can call the ChargePoint number once you have an account and activate the station over the phone. Definitely call ahead about charging options. Also ask when was the last time someone used it (I went to a hotel that had one installed but no one had used it and it wasn't activated). I'm thinking you should just drive like you aren't going to stop, write down what your Wh/mile was and how much range you had left, and stop somewhere to charge anyway. You can see how close it would have been when you get to your destination.

(Awesome how many people chimed in so quickly!)

I'd test the J1772 adapter locally at a station near you -- make sure you can use (and know how to use) it before you go any distance.
Plugshare, recargo, openchargemap, chargepoint mobile apps -- all your friends.
Pre-heat the cabin while doing that final range mode charge so that you don't use the battery heating it.
Check your tire pressures (especially since you're just getting the car).
Watch your energy usage early on and adjust (or abort) accordingly.

I don't even have my car yet but I just returned form a trip to Pittsburgh. If you aren't aware already, there is very little EV support in the burgh in terms of charging stations. Make sure you have a place you know you can use while there that is fast enough to get you charged back up before you plan to leave. I checked it out while I was there because that's where my parents live and I'm trying to convince my father that the Model X is his next car. I was more than a little disappointed at the offerings in the area in terms of public charging stations. But there may be loads of plugs around that aren't listed on maps yet. I would just be sure.

One thing I'm going to say that is going to get me flamed off the board I am sure is to avoid drafting behind trucks at all costs (blasphemy I know). It may save you on range, but could cost you your windshield or your head, at least while retreads are still legal. You see bits of them littered all over the sides of highways because they are quite prone to unravelling. When they unravel, the wheels of the truck behind them can launch a heavy rubber object into the air at about 50 mph toward your windshield, which is travelling at 50 mph toward it. Ever seen what happens when you throw a large heavy piece of rubber at a windshield at 100 mph? Not pretty. It happened to me once. I was nearly decapitated but ducked in time to have the whole windshield shatter all over me. I was lucky to escape with a wrecked windshield and cuts and scrapes but I spent about 4 hours picking shards of glass out of my skin. The car needed a new windshield, a new hood, a new bumper, a new headlight, and bodywork on the roof. Not worth the range advantage IMHO but of course this doesn't happen to everybody. Just think of all those retreads on the side of the highway though--many of them launched at someone.

On that note, stay safe and happy driving!

Cheers

The problem is the relative lack of fast charge opportunities between Baltimore and Pittsburgh...that stretch of I-76 from Pittsburgh to Harrisburg is pretty much an EV-charging desert, from what I can tell...not even any KOA campsites or anything. I have a trip to Reading, PA (just over 260 miles) next week, and am facing the same decision. Until they put a supercharger in (perhaps at Breezewood), I don't know how feasible the trip is, without a serious charging layover en route. The mountains between New Stanton and Bedford will definitely eat up range.

Last edited:
Wow that is extremely helpful...I was using the KOA site, and they don't happen to have any sites along I-76. Definitely bookmarking Allstays.com! There are several 50A spots right along the route, I will check on their availability for my trip next week. Thanks jomo25!

Thanks all, just downloaded the Allstays App. There is a 50A listed near Ft Loudon that also happens to be alongside a very nice wild/native Brook Trout stream that I have been meaning to visit...what better way to spend a few hours while the battery charges than casting dry flies at Brookies! The challenge will be if any of these are open/accessible during winter months.

That's a great point.

nolngrgrsngslde: Go ahead and sign up for ChargePoint and Blink charge cards now. The cards won't arrive in time but I think you can call the ChargePoint number once you have an account and activate the station over the phone.

Yes, you can activate over the phone through customer service via the toll-free number, *or* you can activate it directly from the app on the smartphone.