Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Advice wanted for extra rims with winter tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My S has the 21in gray rims. I love the look. The previous owner also gave me a set of 19 inch standard rims
that have Pirelli sottozero winter tires on them with decent tread left. I live in North Carolina, I don't need snow tires.
I was thinking about putting the other rims on for the winter and swapping back out in the spring. I like the idea of
spreading the miles across the tires so the 21's last longer. I don't like the look of the 19's on this car but I have tires
with tread, why not use them.

What would you do?

Tesla2.jpg

Well, I think that's a good idea. Those grey wheels look great on your car.
But aren't you going to swap out all of the wheel and not just the rim - the outside part of the wheel?
Its silly to me how people refer to the wheel on a car as a rim. The wheel consists of at least these major parts, hub, spokes and rim.

Okay sorry for being anal, but its still accurate. :) Happy New Year. (Not directed specifically as you tdjvfr Your post just happen to be in the line of fire).

Well, I think that's a good idea. Those grey wheels look great on your car.
But aren't you going to swap out all of the wheel and not just the rim - the outside part of the wheel?
Its silly to me how people refer to the wheel on a car as a rim. The wheel consists of at least these major parts, hub, spokes and rim.

Okay sorry for being anal, but its still accurate. :) Happy New Year. (Not directed specifically as you tdjvfr Your post just happen to be in the line of fire).

Ha ha ha, yes you are correct. Might be another "slang" word I picked up in the South. Didn't think much about it until now.
Everyone refers to wheels as rims around here.

A couple of years ago I was in Costco's tire dept asking the pimply faced 15 year "tire expert" behind the counter if Costco sold any chrome wheels for pickup trucks. Honestly, he did not know what wheel was. He asked to see the truck and I wondered why/what he was going to look for. We walked out to the parking lot, and he had me point to the wheel. All he said was, "oh - RIMS, why didn't you say RIMS is what you wanted."
Stupid me.

My S has the 21in gray rims. I love the look. The previous owner also gave me a set of 19 inch standard rims
that have Pirelli sottozero winter tires on them with decent tread left. I live in North Carolina, I don't need snow tires.
I was thinking about putting the other rims on for the winter and swapping back out in the spring. I like the idea of
spreading the miles across the tires so the 21's last longer. I don't like the look of the 19's on this car but I have tires
with tread, why not use them.

What would you do?

View attachment 208494

I have been driving around Charlotte the last week. Too warm for winter tires. If I weren't heading home today you could have sold them to me. :). I could put the Sottozeros to good use.

I learned the term "rim" 50 years ago from my dad. The tire mounted on the rim made up the wheel. He was one of those guys that did all the maintenance himself, even if it meant yanking the engine out, which he did. I never realized the current terminology until I checked out tirerack.com :D.

Reactions: Akikiki
I am in the Asheville NC area and have winter tires due to winter visits to Wisconsin, I use them December through March and have found them useful in NC. Should you use them if you already have them? Yes. Should you buy them in NC? That is a closer question!

Well wouldn't you know it. Four Pirelli sottozero winter tires with good tread. One now has a nail in an unplugable area.
Discount tire didn't have the tire and Pirelli was out. Ugh!