Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Advise...20 Model S Performance vs new 21 model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am debating between buying the 2020 Model S performance w/out FSD, 8000 miles for $80K (no tax, private sale) vs. ordering the new refresh basic 2021 Model S for 80K plus tax. Would like some feed back about these two choices...pros and cons...Thank you.

If this is your first Tesla, or first EV for that matter, I always give this advice. You're not buying a car, but rather a piece of technology, like a PC or a cell phone. Buy the newest one you can afford and forget about buyers remorse since there will always be a better one. In some cases, the very next day you buy yours, a better one comes along.

That said, specific to your question, how important is the acceleration to you? Is it just for bragging rights? The new MS has a 3.1 0-60 time vs last year's MS Performance at 2.3. Just a reminder, 3.1 is plenty fast and can out accelerate about 95% of all the cars in your daily commute. The range is very significant, 412 vs 348. That's over 60 miles, and can make a difference in everyday living with an EV.

Don't forget about all the new tech in the interior vs circa 2012 interior of the 2020 Performance you're looking at.

If it was me, I'd go with the newer one.

also newer one has updated battery chemistry and cooling which probably will make it on par with Model 3/Y charging at v3 chargers if you plan on road tripping or using superchargers frequently. Coming from my 2015 P85D non L the 0-60 is 3.2 and that's plenty fast. Honestly using Insane+ is mostly just a party trick to show someone the launch control or heat the battery. I drive in Insane unless its snowing out. Using regular Insane mode alone is fast enough I can't imagine NEEDING an extra second faster for 99% of the cars daily use unless you plan on doing lot of drag racing or just for bragging rights. Range is king and if you can get extra 60 miles and live with the 3.1 0-60 then that would be my advice. Also get the latest and greatest tech which you typically want since everything now seems to be trending toward the design of the horizontal display preference vs the existing MCU1/2 layouts.

Thank you for all your inputs. The acceleration is not important to me in comparing 2.3 vs. 3.1. I normally keep the car about a year. Just wondering what would have a better resell value a year from now....I do want the new technology and the refreshed but the first year depreciation is so bad that I thought the performance resell a year from now is better ...then I can get the new 2022 one...:)

True, although part of that initial "depreciation" (as typically calculated) comes from the discount/rebate at time of sale and isn't really a loss to the buyer e.g., if someone buys a new car with a sticker price of $60k for $50k, it has already depreciated $10k from MSRP. If the owner then sells the car for $42k within the first year, the depreciation is $18k but the actual loss to the buyer is less than half that at only $8k.

A side track but I recently came very close to buying an Performance MY. Looking inside around the car with the poorly aligned rear seat backrests without a parcel shelf or any security for the trunk, the one long pane of glass protecting the rear occupants heads and the hideous charge port wing flapper reminded me why I drive an MS. I tried the M3 also, but the trunk will not fit ariline trunks with passengers on rear seat.

And OMG they look nothing like the sexy MS, nothing even close to it.

So yes, I will tough it out until Elon drops the 2022/3 MS to 68k to compete with Lucid and Taycan once again.:)

A side track but I recently came very close to buying an Performance MY. Looking inside around the car with the poorly aligned rear seat backrests without a parcel shelf or any security for the trunk, the one long pane of glass protecting the rear occupants heads and the hideous charge port wing flapper reminded me why I drive an MS. I tried the M3 also, but the trunk will not fit ariline trunks with passengers on rear seat.

And OMG they look nothing like the sexy MS, nothing even close to it.

So yes, I will tough it out until Elon drops the 2022/3 MS to 68k to compete with Lucid and Taycan once again.:)
Yeah - 2023 is probably about when I’ll be ready to either let mine go or relegate it another property for occasional use.

I want that new one - once they get everything ironed out.