Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Advise for installation day?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla called to offer install on Monday. This is in PG&E territory.

I would appreciate any advise for what to expect or if there are any choices I need to make. I still wonder if the inverter should be in the garage or outdoors. I see both options in my neighborhood and I wonder if those inside are the ones with PWs (at least one case I know for sure)

So I may go with whatever location they suggest. The side of the garage is east facing and only get direct sun for a few hours a day. There are bedrooms above and next to the garage.

I am not getting PWs. I wonder if there is some install that is better for future option to add PWs (or other batteries) eg, to make it PW ready.

I have all solar related equipments outside.. TEG, 2 Powerwalls, inverters, panels etc. I would say provide installers lunch to keep them happy... I bought a few pizzas and wings. Get the solar panel mapping diagram so you know which panel has what serial number. I learned this here and I think its for tracking individual panel production using the solar edge app.

Not sure what part of PG&E country you are in but even with east facing walls temps during summer can get 100 or more and winters below freezing so consider that for your area.

Plan to have power off for a period of time. Just installing solar and if easy job, likely not for long. Tesla usually provides an arrival window and instructions like remove cars from driveway, remove items from roof perimeter to avoid damage to any possible falling tools or such. An adult needs to be home during this should they need to consult with you and to provide access to garage or home if running conduit through the attic as opposed to outside run. Hopefully you have already discussed this with them — could affect cost and materials needed. If running conduit outside, if you have exterior house paint on hand our guys were able to paint it.

We have all our equipment in our garage. Our outside wall faced southwest. Our temp range here has been a low of 25F and high of 113F.

Let us know how Monday goes. We had a great solar team btw.

Tesla called to offer install on Monday. This is in PG&E territory.

I would appreciate any advise for what to expect or if there are any choices I need to make. I still wonder if the inverter should be in the garage or outdoors. I see both options in my neighborhood and I wonder if those inside are the ones with PWs (at least one case I know for sure)

So I may go with whatever location they suggest. The side of the garage is east facing and only get direct sun for a few hours a day. There are bedrooms above and next to the garage.

I am not getting PWs. I wonder if there is some install that is better for future option to add PWs (or other batteries) eg, to make it PW ready.
Put in garage.