Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Advise from the group p85+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone as a new member and long time follower to this thread I am asking if this is a fair deal. I have put a deposit down and have 24 hours to finalize this purchase.
Looking at December 2014 build p85+ with all options including autopilot, no rear facing seats, I have a copy of the Tesla Build sheet and car was $129000 new. Vehicle has 11,000 miles on it and from the video walk around looks in excellent shape. The deal is $61,800 to purchase the car. Does this sound like a fair deal?? I currently drive a 2013 MS 85 and love it, just wanted autopilot and yes have a little more fun with extra power. I will sell my MS on this form if I complete this purchase. Thank you for your help

Hi everyone as a new member and long time follower to this thread I am asking if this is a fair deal. I have put a deposit down and have 24 hours to finalize this purchase.
Looking at December 2014 build p85+ with all options including autopilot, no rear facing seats, I have a copy of the Tesla Build sheet and car was $129000 new. Vehicle has 11,000 miles on it and from the video walk around looks in excellent shape. The deal is $61,800 to purchase the car. Does this sound like a fair deal?? I currently drive a 2013 MS 85 and love it, just wanted autopilot and yes have a little more fun with extra power. I will sell my MS on this form if I complete this purchase. Thank you for your help

I know what car you are talking about and no it's not a good deal, not horrible but not great. Remember that the warranty is going to end soon and you will not be able to buy an ESA through Tesla because it was sold from a dealer. If you do not care about the warranty and you can get it under $58K then I would do it.

Tesla changed their ESA policy recently to allow new owners to purchase ESA regardless if it was purchased thru a chain of dealer or not.

Which SC told you this? because yesterday I gave two VIN's for dealer cars I wanted to buy and Tesla said no to both. If it's true until Tesla put's it in writing I would not trust it.

Last edited:
If this is truly a P85+ with autopilot, you sir have a UNICORN! I would double check the P85+ designation by checking the struts and making sure they are the plus suspension parts and make sure it has autopilot. Assuming it is not a salvage title, This is definitely a great deal just based on the miles. JUMP ON IT!

Which SC told you this? because yesterday I gave two VIN's for dealer cars I wanted to buy and Tesla said no to both. If it's true until Tesla put's it in writing I would not trust it.
Hi, I called my SC and they told me the same thing. I can buy ESA if I want. Not sure who is correct but I have an MS now with no ESA and not sure if I will buy one anyways.

If this is truly a P85+ with autopilot, you sir have a UNICORN! I would double check the P85+ designation by checking the struts and making sure they are the plus suspension parts and make sure it has autopilot. Assuming it is not a salvage title, This is definitely a great deal just based on the miles. JUMP ON IT!
Hi, yes I called service center with VIN and they confirmed all options and active autopilot. Not sure the place selling new the vehicle has AP as they did not list on options and its not on the build sheet.

Wow, really low miles!
Just giving you a data point. My p85+ with everything but rfs was 58 private party back in October with 35k and 42k remaining on esa warranty.
I couldn't be happier.
Thank you for the information, the only concern I have is slippage when I decide to hit the accelerator hard. Don't want to chew through tires in 5k miles. Thank You again

sounds like a fair deal since these are pretty hard to come by if youre only looking specifically for P85+ with AP. the price isnt far from a P85D though
I'm driving a p85d loaner and still have my p85+. The RWD p85+ feels way better in curves than the Awd, but the 0-30 excelleration of the p85d is fun. The front motor is a little noisy on the D and I like my big frunk on the RWD as well. I'm not in snow country so RWD is just fine and would be my preference.

I'm driving a p85d loaner and still have my p85+. The RWD p85+ feels way better in curves than the Awd, but the 0-30 excelleration of the p85d is fun. The front motor is a little noisy on the D and I like my big frunk on the RWD as well. I'm not in snow country so RWD is just fine and would be my preference.

do you know if the P85D has the + suspension? i dont have a P85+ to compare with but i can say my P85D+ is a lot more planted compared to my P85 which feels like a boat. you do hear the front motor at lower speeds but i dont mind. the P85 RWD is still a fun car to drive. I was looking at either P85+ with AP or P85D at the time i was purchasing and there was just more selections going with the P85D

Agreed, my p85 felt like a boat as well,
do you know if the P85D has the + suspension? i dont have a P85+ to compare with but i can say my P85D+ is a lot more planted compared to my P85 which feels like a boat. you do hear the front motor at lower speeds but i dont mind. the P85 RWD is still a fun car to drive. I was looking at either P85+ with AP or P85D at the time i was purchasing and there was just more selections going with the P85D
Agreed, my P85 felt like a boat compared to the +. What exactly am I looking for on the P85D to check for the + suspension? I guess I can compare struts from my "+" to the "D"

Tesla changed their ESA policy recently to allow new owners to purchase ESA regardless if it was purchased thru a chain of dealer or not.

SamT - have you seen this in writing? I've been trying to run this issue to ground and have received lots of conflicting information. To be 100% clear (since it seemed to be an issue in other threads), I'm not suggesting in any way that your post isn't credible. I'm just trying to pin this down. Tesla is no help whatsoever - can't seem to get a straight answer from them - and anecdotal experience is all over the map. I have no doubt that some people have obtained ESAs on cars that had a dealer in the ownership chain but nobody seems to know whether that is a Tesla policy change or a Tesla mistake - and given Tesla's track record on both policy changes and mistakes, either is a real possibility.

For those of us who don't want to own a Tesla without some form of warranty protection - and don't want to risk the fight with Tesla - this is an incredibly important (and frustrating) question.

Thanks.

Agreed, my p85 felt like a boat as well,

Agreed, my P85 felt like a boat compared to the +. What exactly am I looking for on the P85D to check for the + suspension? I guess I can compare struts from my "+" to the "D"

yup, different part number on the strut or if you can tell if its a 2014, its most likely + suspension. the cut off was in March 2015

I have looked at p85ds online and for this mileage range they are like 12 to 14k more than I am paying for this car. I use snow tires in the winter and haven’t had any problem. Thank you for input, it’s appreciated.
sounds like a fair deal since these are pretty hard to come by if youre only looking specifically for P85+ with AP. the price isnt far from a P85D though[/QUOT

SamT - have you seen this in writing? I've been trying to run this issue to ground and have received lots of conflicting information. To be 100% clear (since it seemed to be an issue in other threads), I'm not suggesting in any way that your post isn't credible. I'm just trying to pin this down. Tesla is no help whatsoever - can't seem to get a straight answer from them - and anecdotal experience is all over the map. I have no doubt that some people have obtained ESAs on cars that had a dealer in the ownership chain but nobody seems to know whether that is a Tesla policy change or a Tesla mistake - and given Tesla's track record on both policy changes and mistakes, either is a real possibility.

For those of us who don't want to own a Tesla without some form of warranty protection - and don't want to risk the fight with Tesla - this is an incredibly important (and frustrating) question.

Thanks.

You cannot buy an ESA once a dealership takes ownership of a Tesla, it's flagged by Tesla once this happens. If a dealership does nto take ownership and sells it Tesla would not know. I just verified this through my local service center.