Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Advise Needed - CPO: Take delivery or not ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
View attachment 329881 Hello folks - you all have been helping me with buying a CPO which has arrived. Some questions on the condition make me think if I should really take the delivery or not. Will appreciate any feedback.

Model S 2015 70D with 36K miles. Leather seats(not next generation) AP1 with Sunroof, no subzero, no ultra voice, no smart suspension. Price 52K.

At 90% charge, the battery shows 204 miles.

The car arrived with following flaws which were not visible in pictures:

1. Auto pilot not working due to seat belt sensor issue.
2. Rims had curb marks.
3. Piller B corner cloth torn.
4. Dirty driver seat in the hip area.
5. Little cut on the tire(which i am ignoring)

The dealership is working hard to make it right given that none of this was shown in the picture.

They are putting new rims, new pillar B cloth and fixed seat sensor. Seat marks stay I have to accept.

I go back to take delivery and this time realized that backup camera is blurry which they will be fixing. I came back for second time and told them that I will take delivery when car is in a shape that a 52K vehicle deserves.

I am trying hard to work with Tesla but the fact that I am finding these issues takes my faith away from Tesla and their 70 point inspection. These are the issues a newbie like me could catch and I am wondering what's there that I can't?

Questions -

Does it look like a beat up car to you guys? Would you take delivery of this car if you were in my shoes?

IMG_0019.jpg

It's shameful they would offer a car in such embarrassing condition. I would be ashamed to drive around in a car with the seat looking like that. We absolutely would not take delivery of the car in that condition until they fixed what you have identified. Ask for your money back and look for another car if they don't fix the seat.

You'll see that seat every time you get in the car and you should absolutely not accept a car with a seat that looks like that.

The only good news with your story is that they seem to be addressing and fixing issues. Hopefully this is a change in their program where they are moving away from selling beat up cars.

How could a car with a malfunctioning seat sensor that affects Autopilot pass their "70 point inspection?"

Time and again we are seeing this. I truly feel sorry for people looking forward to their 1st Tesla experience and have a disappointment like this.

I’ve said this several times before on these forums; but I will say it again: Never, NEVER, commit to the purchase of a vehicle without first examining it carefully in person. I’m still stunned that folks will “order” a CPO car sight unseen. Condition is everything in a used vehicle, and it cannot be judged by a description or even pictures.

Time and again we are seeing this. I truly feel sorry for people looking forward to their 1st Tesla experience and have a disappointment like this.

I’ve said this several times before on these forums; but I will say it again: Never, NEVER, commit to the purchase of a vehicle without first examining it carefully in person. I’m still stunned that folks will “order” a CPO car sight unseen. Condition is everything in a used vehicle, and it cannot be judged by a description or even pictures.

Probably right. But Tesla is terrible at this apparently. I’ve bought a dozen CPO Porsche sight unseen and never had an issue.

Probably right. But Tesla is terrible at this apparently. I’ve bought a dozen CPO Porsche sight unseen and never had an issue.

Absolutely! We once drove a Mercedes CPO out of the lot without even test driving it because we had such confidence in their CPO program. The car was in such great shape visually and they gave us an invoice showing everything they've done to CPO the car along with a full service history of the car. The car basically looked brand new, as are all the CPO cars they sell.

If we were to buy a Tesla CPO, we would check that car out inside and out very very closely and honestly approach the whole transaction with the expectation that we may need to reject the car based on some of the trashed and damaged cars we have seen.

What a shame the harm they have caused to their reputation selling cars with actual holes in the bumper as if the car came from a junk yard. I just can't understand how they can treat customers so poorly.

What really sucks about this whole situation is that for some people this would be the first introduction they have to Tesla and they will walk away with a lot of good will/feelings towards the company lost.

I agree with all the OPs but if the Tesla siren song is humming your tune, get the M3LR with AP and a new warranty - for less after tax credit. Or wait for M3SR and have same for 33k net credit. I would not buy that car seat for any discount. I have driven M3P+ M3LR and own 17 MS75D.

Reactions: PhilDavid
Its nice they are fixing those issues but essentially tesla is just trying to dump off lease cars for as much cash as possible without even checking them out. 70 point inspection and they don't catch that autopilot and a seat belt sensor is not working? 70 point BS. Especially since they don't even tell you what was inspected. It's worse than your local discount bobs used cars.

The site is a scammy reverse auction, every day the car gets cheaper until some schmuck buys it even with all the problems.

I was checking out used MSs (not a huge fan of my X) and gave up recently given the increased nonrefundable deposit, not being able to see nor drive the car, and based on the poor quality i've seen in pics that were sent to me and the horror stories ive seen on here.

Last edited:
Reactions: PhilDavid
Thanks everyone for this valuable feedback. I just refused the delivery.

I am in customer success business and work for a fortune 100 company. In today's era, a company ability to win customer's trust is as important as building innovative products. Thats what builds brand loyalty and people spend money with them again and again.

When I deposited the money a month ago, I was putting Tesla in category of companies who would ethically do right thing for their customers. I was expecting high quality professionalism from Tesla.

A month's patient wait, two trips to take delivery and found issues myself both times, spent $1500 on 14-50, in the mean time interest rate increased from 2.74% to 3.25%, so many hours or research and back and forth with Tesla, I am exhausted now.

Such a wonderful product but victim of bad policies and short sightedness. I would still give credit to local dealership who tried to fix someone else's mistakes for me.

Does anyone have email of Elon Musk or any exec in customer service branch?

Thanks everyone for this valuable feedback. I just refused the delivery.

I am in customer success business and work for a fortune 100 company. In today's era, a company ability to win customer's trust is as important as building innovative products. Thats what builds brand loyalty and people spend money with them again and again.

When I deposited the money a month ago, I was putting Tesla in category of companies who would ethically do right thing for their customers. I was expecting high quality professionalism from Tesla.

A month's patient wait, two trips to take delivery and found issues myself both times, spent $1500 on 14-50, in the mean time interest rate increased from 2.74% to 3.25%, so many hours or research and back and forth with Tesla, I am exhausted now.

Such a wonderful product but victim of bad policies and short sightedness. I would still give credit to local dealership who tried to fix someone else's mistakes for me.

Does anyone have email of Elon Musk or any exec in customer service branch?
I would have done the same thing.

I don't think anybody outside of Tesla got any way of trying to contact Elon Musk other than Twitter but one can imagine the amount of tweets he receives any one day.

Apparently Tesla still has a very good reputation among the unknowing public. That's why we see many of these posts about first time buyers (new AND used cars) who are flabbergasted that such a vehicle can be allowed to be delivered/sold to customers. New vehicle with due bills should be a rare exception, not the norm. Used cars who had a "70 point inspection" should never look like OP's car. Sounds more like 7-point inspection. These people came in with a very forgiving attitude towards a company that's trying to do the right thing for the environment. I can certainly see a shift in the goodwill accorded Tesla by the general public, and it's not for the better. Too many of these stories nowadays.

I had a similar experience just yesterday with trying to be a CPO. They sent pics of the interior and the driver's seat was stained way worse than the one you had. On other pics it looked the interior had been flooded or something - there was discoloration in a number of places. All this in a 21k miles car. So obviously I passed on it. I still want to buy a car but since there are few for sale locally it's been tough. I looked at one last weekend - a '13 60 with 45k miles - it looked and drove great but Autocheck showed it had been in two accidents previously.