Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Advise needed] second Tesla in the family

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,
my wife is now convinced to sell her Jeep Renegade and buy a Model 3 LR.

My question is: is it better to buy it under my existing Tesla account or is it better to set up a different account with Tesla under her name? What are the pros and cons of the 2 possibilities?

TIA

If you set up under the same account you can swipe between the two vehicles in the Tesla app to control/unlock/drive. Otherwise you have to log out and log back in each time. If you rarely or never drive or need to control each other's vehicles, there's not a real need to set them up under the same account. Of course phone as key doesn't work on your MS.

• Informative
Reactions: COS Blue
It's best to create one main Tesla account to put all the cars under. Then create separate user accounts on Tesla for each user so they can log into their app individually. Then add other users on the individual cars as you get them. Much easier for adding/removing users and cars as time goes on. This way you can manage all cars from the same interface both online and through the app.

If you set up under the same account you can swipe between the two vehicles in the Tesla app to control/unlock/drive. Otherwise you have to log out and log back in each time. If you rarely or never drive or need to control each other's vehicles, there's not a real need to set them up under the same account. Of course phone as key doesn't work on your MS.
There is a way to swipe between the two vehicles with 2 separate accounts.

Sign into your Tesla account online.
Hit the manage button for your car.
You should then see an option for car access.
From there you add the name and email address of the other Tesla account.
They would then do the same on their account to allow you to access their car.

The other nice thing about separate account is that you will each get 1,000 miles of free supercharging from your existing account’s referral code. I think you would only get 1,000 miles total if you order the new model from the same account.

Reactions: f205v