Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Advise on Selling

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am thinking of selling my 2021 MS Performance (pre-plaid). The only other time I tried to sell a car that was in that price range I got constantly spammed, and scammers hit me up multiple times a day--western union, check to hold, you name the scam they tried it. And I got no real interest as it seems most people who are looking for a car that costly buy new or something at a dealer. Any advise on what website I should use? Any other top of mind advise you can think of? I planned on stipulating I would only do a hand-off at my local bank and they can only use funds that can be verified by my bank. I know there are money order scams out there too, hoping doing it at my bank they can call and verify funds?

Finally is it worth taking to to Carmax or having Carvana appraise it? Or should I just try and sell it outright?

Thanks in advance for any advise.

And FYI, nothing wrong with the car still love it and am going to hate to get rid of it, just some changes in my personal and professional life.

I am thinking of selling my 2021 MS Performance (pre-plaid). The only other time I tried to sell a car that was in that price range I got constantly spammed, and scammers hit me up multiple times a day--western union, check to hold, you name the scam they tried it. And I got no real interest as it seems most people who are looking for a car that costly buy new or something at a dealer. Any advise on what website I should use? Any other top of mind advise you can think of? I planned on stipulating I would only do a hand-off at my local bank and they can only use funds that can be verified by my bank. I know there are money order scams out there too, hoping doing it at my bank they can call and verify funds?

Finally is it worth taking to to Carmax or having Carvana appraise it? Or should I just try and sell it outright?

And FYI, nothing wrong with the car still love it and am going to hate to get rid of it, just some changes in my personal and professional life.
I can tell you with almost absolute certainty, selling privately in this market today? Is going to get you close (if not more) than you paid for the car.
All it too for me was a 7 day ad on ebay. Buyer halfway across the country bought mine for several thousand more than Tesla/Carvana/Carmax, etc were offering. He paid me via ebay (it was this summer and at that time, there was no commission just a flat $60 or so fee for a 7 day ad with maybe 10 or so photos) and he arranged shipping. Funds cleared in 48 hours, truck picked up the car in 72 hours. Literally zero effort on my part.

you don’t mind me asking what is the price they are offering?

Reactions: GeoG
I sold two MS's (2013 P85, 2017 90D) listed on Craig's List, Facebook Nextdoor, and here. I also sold an 91 NSX a few years ago using the same platforms. I never took the low ball offers or even responded to an offer if they weren't interested in actually looking at the car. I wasn't willing to arrange shipping. I would only release the car when I had the funds verified in my account. Wire transfers work great. I did use Facetime for a live walk around for out of staters to help get them on a plane. On our 90D deal we went into a local bank branch and I watched the teller make out the cashiers check. We then went to my bank to deposit. Just lucky that both banks were in the same shopping center.

My experience with both Carmax and another trade in site was really bad. Rediculously low offers. I sold the NSX for almost $20k more than they offered. Oh yea get Tesla's offer in case you do decide to just dump it at Carmax. Carmax and others almost always offered more $ that Tesla to get the car.

Bottom line is that if you can't/don't want to sell yourself just prepare for a really low ball offer.