Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Advisor just told me this..Is it how Tesla operates?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My advisor just called to update me on my Y.

July 25th - Ordered
Aug 6th - Received 2-5 week text

Here is what my advisor told me. My car has not yet been manufactured, Tesla was working on a large delivery to Canada and had been making those spec cars.

They have now shifted back to US production and are trying to deliver all the cars by end of quarter for financial reasons.

He said later this week, I will receive a VIN text. He said when you receive the VIN text, your car is about to go into production. Is that how it works? I found it rather odd that I received the 2-5 week text before the Vin text....

So Tesla is just sending the 2-5 week text before production assuming it will fall in that time line I guess

Correct. They historically build the cars being delivered to the farthest distances from the factory first (Canada, Mexico, East coast, etc) at the beginning of a given quarter and then as the quarter comes to a close the deliveries get closer and closer to the factory which typically results in a bonkers quarter-end delivery push nearest Fremont.

Once you get a VIN it has been registered with the government and assigned to the build queue. If an inventory car comes up that matches your configuration they may reassign you to that VIN instead.

Anyway, nothing abnormal. When I ordered my Volt I got the VIN several weeks before the car went down the line.

• Informative
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
Keep in mind the 2-5 week text is when to expect delivery. It will take 1-2 weeks to transport from Fremont to your location for delivery. The text is just a placeholder assuming everything falls in line. Hence the caveat included that actual delivery may swing either direction outside of that window

July 25th - Ordered

Here is what my advisor told me. My car has not yet been manufactured, Tesla was working on a large delivery to Canada and had been making those spec cars.

They have now shifted back to US production and are trying to deliver all the cars by end of quarter for financial reasons.

He said later this week, I will receive a VIN text. He said when you receive the VIN text, your car is about to go into production. Is that how it works? I found it rather odd that I received the 2-5 week text before the Vin text....

Similar to my timeline. I'm not sure what you need confirming in "how they operate"? When you ordered I think timing on the website was 4-8 weeks putting your delivery around the end of August to the end of September. Ten days in they said 2-5 weeks so late-August to mid-September. All seems in line to me? I guess maybe get upset if we get to mid-September?

Don't worry about what the advisor says, they are often misinformed. I'd go by what your original timeline and the texts say - that stuff is direct from Freemont. My advisor told me the day after my order on 11th July that the factory has "promised" to deliver by the end of September. Maybe, maybe not, it's all verbal - I'll wait and see. Same has happened to me with factory orders on other brands BTW.

Just chill and wait it out.

DO NOT BUY CARS FROM TESLA THAT ARE END OF QUARTER

I did, oh boy, my car is still in the body shop. day 22 out of day 30. 8 days left to be considered a lemon car by California. it only had 400 some miles on it.

Do not buy cars at the end of quarter. they are rushed. and tesla loves to rush their cars.

cancel your order, the reserve is nothing! and the model Y is worse than 3. you'll have way more issues than I currently have.

If you're in California, you don't have much choice, you're likely to get an end of quarter car because they build and deliver elsewhere first. My Model 3 was built two days before I took delivery. I didn't even get a VIN until the day of delivery. This was despite ordering at the beginning of the quarter. What can you do?

July 25th - Ordered

I don't know what's unusual here...

DO NOT BUY CARS FROM TESLA THAT ARE END OF QUARTER

I did, oh boy, my car is still in the body shop. day 22 out of day 30. 8 days left to be considered a lemon car by California. it only had 400 some miles on it.

Do not buy cars at the end of quarter. they are rushed. and tesla loves to rush their cars.

cancel your order, the reserve is nothing! and the model Y is worse than 3. you'll have way more issues than I currently have.

My car was in for repairs for more than 30 days and is going in for second round of repairs after my PPF. My VIN 36XX and was weeks before end of last quarter.