Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AEB simply won't work

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla is on 7-28mph right? I thought that was low...

Others choose slow speed so their system can brake to a complete stop and have a better chance to avoid a collision at a low speed.

Tesla chooses to cover the high speed end from 5 to 85 mph but not to brake to a complete stop.

For AP2, it temporarily works up to 28 mph with the same principle of less severity of collision and not a complete halt.

AP2 does not choose slow speed for a complete halt like other companies do. It chooses high speed and no complete halt but it just can't move the limit past 28 mph just yet.

Others choose slow speed so their system can brake to a complete stop and have a better chance to avoid a collision at a low speed.

Tesla chooses to cover the high speed end from 5 to 85 mph but not to brake to a complete stop.

For AP2, it temporarily works up to 28 mph with the same principle of less severity of collision and not a complete halt.

AP2 does not choose slow speed for a complete halt like other companies do. It chooses high speed and no complete halt but it just can't move the limit past 28 mph just yet.
Oh now I understand, thanks for your explanation!

And other companies have AEB systems that work at low and high speeds, AEB City and AEB Interurban

Volvo S90 And V90 Score Top Pedestrian Safety Ratings From Euro NCAP - NDTV CarAndBike

Follow up: Tesla Netherlands contacted the driver in response to his TMC postings. They were startled by the event, expressing their concern for his personal wellbeing. Inspecting the car and logfiles, they confirmed AP was active, but found nothing out of the ordinairy.

My personal hope is that this event leads to improvement of the safety systems in the car.

Is there any explanation yet on why the AP system failed?

I guess because it is work in progress and owners are hired as free laborers to guard the system making sure to bail it out at all times, so, why would Tesla waste time to issue a validated test video to the public?
I don't need to Ball Out hours because it works just fine. The car nearly came to a halt making sure it didn't collide with a cellophane potato chip bag and later - an overpass - crossing over Interstate 5 in the middle of the Central Valley while doing 75mph. the folks behind us must have thought we were nuts.

...Hopefully that's not how it is designed...

Tesla manual clearly says that AEB is not to avoid a collision.

So if collision still happens, then Tesla AEB works as designed.

Autopilot (TACC and AutoSteer) is a completely different matter.

Its goal is clearly to avoid collisions.

That is how it is designed but it currently has not achieved that goal 100% just yet.

I was on a HWY today, it was fairly slow and in front of me there was a semi truck.
I have my auto pilot set at 3 car distance. but some how when the truck in front of me goes forward my car goes forward at appropriate sped, but when the semi truck stopped, my car speed towards it, I had to hit the break and thought maybe rain have some thing to do with it, I tried it several times today behind the same truck and same thing happen, I'm assuming the cameras and radars do not recognize the truck.

as I was driving ( off auto pilot) a smart car cut me off and my Emergency auto brake chimed and the car brake. I'm thinking that breaking system worked.

Might be an issue with the semi-truck being too high off the ground and the radar signal signal under the truck is not reliably detecting when to brake? AEB is improving with every software update, which is why Tesla keeps iterating that you need to keep your hands on the wheel and your attention on the road.

I just experienced the AEB. I was stuck on a left lane with a few cars in front of me on a 2 lane local road at an intersection. Saw the right lane moving so I turn to right lane and sped up. A car on that right lane suddenly stopped at the intersection trying to do a right turn. My car AEB kicked in, beeped 3 times, red car shown up on the display, and it started braking. Not sure if it would have stopped completely since I also stepped on the brake. It just did it a bit earlier than I did.

Reactions: SoCal Tsla and Tam
Sidebar - I was in a car with a professional driver that was testing AEB today. It was a XT5 SUV. It nails the brakes really hard, to the point of ABS pulsing which you can feel through the chassis. I'll see if the video worked tonight.

Thanks for the video clip.

Cadilllac style collision avoidance with AEB is what I want but Tesla just doesn't provide that.

Tesla claims its AP2 AEB slows the car by 25 MPH and works from 5 MPH through 85 MPH per my Owner's Manual. Presumably that would be a 25 MPH reduction prior to impact. That would seem to work just fine (accident free) in the Cadillac scenarios shown in the video above. As long as your speed is below 25 MPH you have a shot at accident avoidance. Above 25 MPH braking could be too little too late.

"When Automatic Emergency Braking has reduced the driving speed by 25 mph (40 km/h), the brakes are released. For example, if Automatic Emergency Braking applies braking when driving at 56 mph (90 km/h), it releases the brakes when the speed has been reduced to 31 mph (50 km/h). Automatic Emergency Braking operates only when driving between 5 mph (8 km/h) and 85 mph (140 km/h)."

I'm just waiting for someone to run the tests for us.