Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AEB uses autosteer?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

appleguru

Mar 15, 2017
MA, US
I had something happen while driving yesterday that I didn't know my AP2 model S could do. Was driving in a construction zone around 60mph. Concrete barrier on the left was basically in my lane. I was hugging it pretty close, as the lane was narrow.

Car, apparently, decided I was hugging it too close as I got to a turn in the road... front left two sensors went dark red, car beeped at me 3 times, and the steering wheel wheel pulled the car to the right, away from the barrier.

Was all very smooth, and I was actually very impressed. Autopilot/TACC was NOT enabled at the time; I had full manual control of the vehicle. Is this behavior normal? Is it part of AEB? Or something else?

I love it when the car does good things I did not know it could do. Earlier today on a two lane country road I had autopilot on and the car suddenly hit the brakes and sounded an alarm. Seems a kid had walked out into the road. Still a ways off and I probably could have stopped manually but the car did it for me. The kid quickly retreated to the side of the road and the car resumed its way down the road. So now I know it can detect people as well as cars. Fun stuff!

• Informative
Reactions: EinSV
This is "side collision assist" and operates even when AP is off. You can find more details in the onboard manual too!

Ehhh, my car is totally comfortable with others in its personal space. My AP loves to hug jersey barriers and semis and it even allowed another car to kiss the rear passenger door and quarter panel by not giving ground as the other car slowly entered my lane.