TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

AEB uses autosteer?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by appleguru, Jun 29, 2017.

Tags:
  1. appleguru

appleguru Member

I had something happen while driving yesterday that I didn't know my AP2 model S could do. Was driving in a construction zone around 60mph. Concrete barrier on the left was basically in my lane. I was hugging it pretty close, as the lane was narrow.

Car, apparently, decided I was hugging it too close as I got to a turn in the road... front left two sensors went dark red, car beeped at me 3 times, and the steering wheel wheel pulled the car to the right, away from the barrier.

Was all very smooth, and I was actually very impressed. Autopilot/TACC was NOT enabled at the time; I had full manual control of the vehicle. Is this behavior normal? Is it part of AEB? Or something else?

• Like x 3
    • Informative x 1
  2. Patrick W

Patrick W Active Member

I love it when the car does good things I did not know it could do. Earlier today on a two lane country road I had autopilot on and the car suddenly hit the brakes and sounded an alarm. Seems a kid had walked out into the road. Still a ways off and I probably could have stopped manually but the car did it for me. The kid quickly retreated to the side of the road and the car resumed its way down the road. So now I know it can detect people as well as cars. Fun stuff!

• Informative x 1
  3. whitex

whitex Active Member

That's not AEB (since no braking occurred) but that feature has been there in AP1 too - so far I experienced in once in all the years driving when a motorcyclist was splitting lanes and got close to my rear right.

4. whitex

whitex Active Member

Only if those are things you want it to do, rather than things you'd rather it didn't do, like hitting the brakes due to confusing a metal sign or losing track of a vehicle at the bottom of a hill. ;)

5. Patrick W

Patrick W Active Member

Agreed. That's why I said "good things". :) But, honestly, I've yet to have a really bad thing happen. Here's hoping it stays that way.

6. chillaban

chillaban Active Member

This is "side collision assist" and operates even when AP is off. You can find more details in the onboard manual too!

7. Hota

Hota Member

Ehhh, my car is totally comfortable with others in its personal space. My AP loves to hug jersey barriers and semis and it even allowed another car to kiss the rear passenger door and quarter panel by not giving ground as the other car slowly entered my lane.