Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AEB Won’t Prevent an Accident

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While this doesn't prove anything we already know from the manual that AEB isn't meant as a crash prevention system.

It's simply a crash mitigation system. In this particular accident we don't know if it mitigated anything.
Correct ... here is the detailed information from the manual that no one has bothered to read ... RTFM :cool:
upload_2018-1-23_20-33-47.png

No one has thought to wonder why AEB only drops speed by 25mph. When there's no input from the driver, it just washes its 'hands' of the situation?

And no one has thought to wonder why the radar doesn't respond to stationary objects. I know it 'sees' them (it is doppler), but the system does nothing to mitigate them. It should at least activate the Red Alert. I was on the highway one night when some joker put a construction barrel in the middle of the lane -- I grabbed the wheel and tried to dodge, but hit it with my corner and the barrel smashed the right mirror.

• Funny
Reactions: MelaniainLA
The only way this isn’t proof is if you think he had AEB disabled or if you think his system was malfunctioning. The car hit a fire truck!

No, if he manually brakes, the car disables AEB per the manual. So if the driver had manually started braking, AEB wouldn’t have been on. We don’t know if he looked up at a collision warning and slammed on the brakes.

Tesla’s system is not the sort that adds to your braking power like other car manufacturers systems.

No one has thought to wonder why AEB only drops speed by 25mph. When there's no input from the driver, it just washes its 'hands' of the situation?

And no one has thought to wonder why the radar doesn't respond to stationary objects. I know it 'sees' them (it is doppler), but the system does nothing to mitigate them. It should at least activate the Red Alert. I was on the highway one night when some joker put a construction barrel in the middle of the lane -- I grabbed the wheel and tried to dodge, but hit it with my corner and the barrel smashed the right mirror.

i know mine ( ap1 ) saw sometimes stationary cars, but in the manual it s written that it 's not 100%

My main reason for this thread is that I think there is a misconception that AEB will keep you from hitting another object (I.e. car, pedestrian, fire truck, brick wall, etc.). This is not the case.

Thanks for the good Public Service Announcement so owners can understand what the manual says in theory.

To apply to this case, we still need a car log in order to figure out how the accident happened and whether the AEB was activated or not.

Did the owner swerve to the left and thus disable AEB?

tesla-crash-fire-truck-405-los-angeles.jpg

How slow was the car traveling? Does the car log say 65 MPH? Look at all the air bags: Front, side curtains..., photo angle doesn't document evidence of deployment!

Tesla-crash.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Rusty1
i know mine ( ap1 ) saw sometimes stationary cars, but in the manual it s written that it 's not 100%

+1.

My AP1 has, at times, slowed to a stop for stationary objects and other times it would have happily smashed into a stopped vehicle. It normally does not stop if I’m following a vehicle (using TACC) and that vehicle changes lanes quickly cuz there is a stopped vehicle in front of it. In this case my AP1 won’t acquire the stopped vehicle in time to stop. I’ve experienced this situation a few times.

I remember reading an article where someone from Tesla discussed the legal liabilities of such systems. If the AEB failed to prevent an accident the automaker is not liable (since it is an assistive feature). If AEB caused an accident or made an accident worse by unnecessarily braking (or braking too much) then it's possible for the automaker to be liable. The 25mph strikes a good middle ground to reduce the probability of injury without risking being rear ended.

In this case, no one was injured.

My AP1 has, at times, slowed to a stop for stationary objects and other times it would have happily smashed into a stopped vehicle. It normally does not stop if I’m following a vehicle (using TACC) and that vehicle changes lanes quickly cuz there is a stopped vehicle in front of it. In this case my AP1 won’t acquire the stopped vehicle in time to stop. I’ve experienced this situation a few times.
And this is exactly what TSB has now reopened its investigation on.

I'm beginning to suspicion that the CID is too slow to be reliable in this, whereas in older cars (MB) it's fine.