Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aero Cap Mod?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone try to replace the center logo area on the aero covers with another center cap? I found 'weighted' center caps that I'd love to put in the middle of the aero covers (to keep my range up).
Auto.jpg
I can't seem to find a way to remove the center logo without cutting, but I thought I'd ask if anyone's found a way.

Anyone try to replace the center logo area on the aero covers with another center cap? I found 'weighted' center caps that I'd love to put in the middle of the aero covers (to keep my range up).
View attachment 774318I can't seem to find a way to remove the center logo without cutting, but I thought I'd ask if anyone's found a way.
I see you want to put the weighted center cap on there (the ones that rotate to always have the Tesla logo the right-side-up). You have the newer version of the aero caps, but on the older ones the center piece was glued on. You can look at the back to see if it's made the same way and can possibly heat it up to unglue it. Even then, it's not likely that the hole is the correct 54mm diameter (about 2.125") needed for a center cap. The easiest way might be to get a hole saw in 2-1/4" and drill into the aero covers in the center of the built-in cap. Something like this or this might work.

Reactions: CheapBastid
It does look like there's no easy way to pull out the centers of the Aero Covers.
I was trying to think of who I might approach to modify the Aero Covers (drill them out). As I'm not a skilled person with modifying stuff like this, I'm sure I'd botch it in a way that would bother me every time I glanced at the wheels.
I was thinking of reaching out to a local Tint shop that does wheels and custom sound installs, any other ideas on who I might get to make this kind of custom mod?

P.S. if anyone has a recommendation of a specific spot in the San Gabriel valley that'd be a bonus.

Update on my 'weird mod'. I called a few local places and ended up meeting with the owner of a local shop who agreed to take a cover and a cap and see if there was a good way to mate them. There is some concern that if the fit isn't perfect between the cover and the cap that one or the other might 'pop off'.

Final Update: They looked at it, and it seems the cap's 'legs' are a bit too short for it to snap into place over a drilled-out hole, so they don't recommend making the mod.
The new center cap can always be glued to the aero cover to make sure it stays in the hole, but you will want to make sure that something still snaps into the center hole of the aluminum wheel to help keep the aero cover on. If you drill out the center of the aero cover like I suggested, there will be nothing snapping into the center of the wheel.

Perhaps the only solution is to modify your new center caps and glue them directly on top of the aero covers. But it might not be possible to make that mod look good.

That seems to be the verdict from the guys that looked into it. I'm still tempted to give it a try on one...
I'm sure you can find spares for dirt cheap. A lot of people take those aero covers off and never put them back on. You just need to look for owners in your area here in the forums or at a local Tesla Owner's Club. Then you can have some spares to practice on.

• Informative
Reactions: CheapBastid
A buddy of mine is a carpenter and decided to give it a lookin' at. He came up with this as a solution:
Pressed into place with a few dabs of hot melt.
Tabs almost engage but are just a bit long. Filled with epoxy paste for mechanical grab of tabs .
After epoxy dries added silicone over to help hold epoxy fillers in place.
Tabs.jpgTabs2.jpgTabs3.jpg

Reactions: android04