Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aero Caps For Winter?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2020 SR+ model and I’m considering putting the aero caps on for the winter for a different look and slightly increased range. Ideally I would take the aero caps back off in the summertime...I’ve noticed some older posts about the aero caps damaging the rims underneath. Is this still the case? Anyone have experience with this?

I’ve had the aero caps off since delivery so I can’t verify this for myself.

I think there is a higher likelihood of damage if either the wheels or the cap contacts have dirt on them at the time of removal or attachment. I've had mine on and off a few times and they've never damaged the wheels, but I've always made sure the caps are stored in a dirt/dust free case and I clean everything before I put them on.

I also remove them as soon as I don't need them to reduce the risk of dirt build up while they're on.

Not sure all of this is necessary but it's worked for me so far!

Reactions: android04
I run naked wheels during daily winter use but add the aero covers for road trips. Never had an issue with damage however they are stored while off-duty in a bag specifically designed for them. Additionally, I leave the lug nut covers on even with the aero covers in place such that all I need to remove is the center cap in order to add the aero covers. Works well and is extremely quick an easy! Good luck.

• Informative
Reactions: willow_hiller