Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aero cover came off within 3 days of driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

xxxjxxx

Jan 3, 2021
CA
Hello, first post. I came here because I'm very frustrated with Tesla's customer service.
I received my Model 3 on 12/27/2020. It's our family's first Tesla so we were all really excited. However, the right front aerowheel cover came off already. I only noticed it on 12/31/2020, when a neighbor pointed it out. I didn't expect it to come off within the 3-4 days we have had it, since I have only driven it around running errands 3 times in those 3-4 days. I live in southern California (OC), and have only driven it in sunny weather, and the neighborhoods and grocery stores I have been driving it in are pretty nice, so I doubt someone just stole one.
I reached out to my SA right away on text when I noticed, and was hoping to get a replacement for free since it is so new. He said he would reach out to delivery on 12/31, but today said he still hasn't done it. Now he's saying since we informed him of this after 4 days, they probably can't replace it for free. He's also telling me that I should have reported this on the Tesla app. When I asked if we should report it now to Service on the app, we have gotten no response.

Any advice? Overall very frustrated since Delivery told me to report issues to my SA or the Buena Park dealership, customer service chat/phone was unavailable on the weekend, and SA now saying it is too late.

Just wish directions were clearer and there was someone to speak to 24/7 :(

Have you tried to actually remove and reinstall a cover on one of the other wheels before ?
They don’t come off/on very easily - and not likely to “fall” off if seated properly from normal driving.

More than likely wasn’t clipped in all the way - or someone was looking for a spare....

Reactions: WarpedOne
Don't you think it looks better without your aero covers?

If you can't get any satisfaction from your Tesla rep, maybe you could ask in one of the subforums if anyone local to you wants to get rid of theirs.

Sorry to hear that OP; hope you get one for free, but I wouldn't count on that. I was surprised they have NO theft deterrent design; anybody can just snap them off and steal them.

Hey gang, a related question: How do you remove the covers? I might have to do that to inflate the tires, if I have trouble doing that, since the valve is barely sticking out. Thank you.

Hello, first post. I came here because I'm very frustrated with Tesla's customer service.
I received my Model 3 on 12/27/2020. It's our family's first Tesla so we were all really excited. However, the right front aerowheel cover came off already. I only noticed it on 12/31/2020, when a neighbor pointed it out. I didn't expect it to come off within the 3-4 days we have had it, since I have only driven it around running errands 3 times in those 3-4 days. I live in southern California (OC), and have only driven it in sunny weather, and the neighborhoods and grocery stores I have been driving it in are pretty nice, so I doubt someone just stole one.
I reached out to my SA right away on text when I noticed, and was hoping to get a replacement for free since it is so new. He said he would reach out to delivery on 12/31, but today said he still hasn't done it. Now he's saying since we informed him of this after 4 days, they probably can't replace it for free. He's also telling me that I should have reported this on the Tesla app. When I asked if we should report it now to Service on the app, we have gotten no response.

Any advice? Overall very frustrated since Delivery told me to report issues to my SA or the Buena Park dealership, customer service chat/phone was unavailable on the weekend, and SA now saying it is too late.

Just wish directions were clearer and there was someone to speak to 24/7 :(

Same thing happened to us. Picked up Model 3 on 12/28/2020 and eight wheel cover was on 1/2 way. Played with it for an hour couldn’t get it to stay on. Took it to the service center and the manager and tech couldn’t resolve the problem. They had a new one in stock and that worked and did not charge me. Hope you get it fixed soon.

Same thing happened to us. Picked up Model 3 on 12/28/2020 and eight wheel cover was on 1/2 way. Played with it for an hour couldn’t get it to stay on. Took it to the service center and the manager and tech couldn’t resolve the problem. They had a new one in stock and that worked and did not charge me. Hope you get it fixed soon.
You can easily yank it out. I took mine off when I took delivery and just put the aero cap kit even before I drove off. It just looks better...

So an interesting note, probably going to point towards EOQ production hell. I picked up my Model 3 on 12/27, I removed the Aero caps when I got home and one pulled off way too easy. Didn't really think much of it, until I started to store them away. The one that came off really easy did not have ANY of the metal retainer clips for the spokes and the center cap retainer either. So this is probably why yours fell off. It's going to be hard to prove and get them to replace it, since yours is probably gone with the wind.

Have you tried to actually remove and reinstall a cover on one of the other wheels before ?
They don’t come off/on very easily - and not likely to “fall” off if seated properly from normal driving.

More than likely wasn’t clipped in all the way - or someone was looking for a spare....
I will say we are on our third M3 and in the case of this car - one of the covers consistently comes partially off (so like 2-3 clips). Hasn’t fallen all the way off but I assume it will eventually. I have taken it off - reinstalled. It all seems like it’s fine but for whatever reason it is prone to coming loose. Odd.

Ours had one the first day that came loose. It might stay on for a day before it tries to come loose. There is just one section where it pops up. Very frustrating to say the list and I am always concerned it might come off at high speeds.

Reactions: Blackbart