TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Aero cover scratched the wheels

Discussion in 'Model 3: Interior & Exterior' started by JonnyEvergreen, Jan 28, 2019.

1. JonnyEvergreen

JonnyEvergreen New Member

Has anyone had an issue with their aero covers scratching the face of the wheel beneath? I am getting ready to have new tires mounted on my aero rims and noticed some deep scratches at the edge of the spokes caused by the aero covers rubbing on the wheel.

Apologize, I didn't have great light at the time so I've mocked up some examples using pictures from the web. The red shows where the ridge, which runs along the inside of the aero cover, rubbed the wheels. Pretty upsetting as I planned to go without the aero covers some of the time. aero_cover_inside.JPG aero_spoke_scratches.JPG

2. Vines

Vines Active Member

Has been mentioned in other threads. Probably some tape or strips of PPF might prevent this.

3. JonnyEvergreen

JonnyEvergreen New Member

Thanks for the info. My searches did not bring this up so there's room for personal improvement. Wish I had caught this earlier as touch up paint is likely to look pretty obvious on the spoke.

4. suwaneedad

suwaneedad Member

I feel even better now about not even leaving the delivery without first removing the aero covers. I hope mine never ever see my vehicle's wheels; I just don't like the look. But now I have a 'real' reason to not use them, so...thanks OP!