Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aero hubcaps fit aftermarket wheels?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good evening, everyone.

I’m getting ready to order a set of winter tires and wheels, and I’m concerned about the reduced range without the aero hubcaps. I live in Minnesota, and with the standard range battery I’ll need all the help I can get when it gets below zero. Does anyone know if there are aftermarket wheels that are compatible with the hubcaps?

Good evening, everyone.

I’m getting ready to order a set of winter tires and wheels, and I’m concerned about the reduced range without the aero hubcaps. I live in Minnesota, and with the standard range battery I’ll need all the help I can get when it gets below zero. Does anyone know if there are aftermarket wheels that are compatible with the hubcaps?

No.
Tesla had to develop custom wheels and clamps to attach Aero hub-caps so that they sit flush at the rim:
Tesla's aero wheels improve range by 3% at high speed, test shows - Electrek

If you want to maximize winter range, either buy another $2K set of Aero's for winter wheels + tires:
Model 3 18" Aero Wheel and Winter Tire Package

Or put proper summer tires on your aftermarket wheels (throw away all-season rubbers), and save Aero's for the winter tires.

HTH,
a

• Informative
Reactions: go2realize
I have no intention of getting rid of my factory rubber. Part of the appeal of the model three was low operating cost, and blowing a bunch of money on tires defeats the purpose. Forking over some cash for winter safety makes sense, but certainly don’t need the handling benefits in the summertime.

Reactions: dhanson865
Order winter wheels NOW. I’m just trying to order a set of aero wheels so I can buy my own winter tires (Sottozero 3’s, much better then the series II that Tesla sells for the 18s) and have been waiting for over a month for them to come in stock at my service center... just called today and was told the ticket was still open but they couldn’t give me any updated ETA...

• Informative
Reactions: TomB985
No.
Tesla had to develop custom wheels and clamps to attach Aero hub-caps so that they sit flush at the rim:
Tesla's aero wheels improve range by 3% at high speed, test shows - Electrek

If you want to maximize winter range, either buy another $2K set of Aero's for winter wheels + tires:
Model 3 18" Aero Wheel and Winter Tire Package

Or put proper summer tires on your aftermarket wheels (throw away all-season rubbers), and save Aero's for the winter tires.

HTH,
a

Following up on this. I am looking to purchase Aero's and get these tires. Do we know if the Aeros+hub caps will work with these tires?
https://www.discounttiredirect.com/buy-tires/michelin-x-ice-xi3/p/17070

Order winter wheels NOW. I’m just trying to order a set of aero wheels so I can buy my own winter tires (Sottozero 3’s, much better then the series II that Tesla sells for the 18s) and have been waiting for over a month for them to come in stock at my service center... just called today and was told the ticket was still open but they couldn’t give me any updated ETA...

Interesting.
I was eyeing that same purchase, but was turned off by the Pirelli tires.
Ended up ordering a set from TireRack that has Tesla hub-centric wheels (MSW Type 30) and Michelin X-Ice Xi3 tires for $1900:
https://www.tirerack.com/snow/Winte...&autoModel=Model+3&autoYear=2017&autoModClar=

Following up on this. I am looking to purchase Aero's and get these tires. Do we know if the Aeros+hub caps will work with these tires?
https://www.discounttiredirect.com/buy-tires/michelin-x-ice-xi3/p/17070

There are no tire restrictions on the wheels, Aero or otherwise, beyond the obvious diameter match and reasonable tire width match to the width of the wheel iself.
In other words - any stock-sized tires you buy would work with Aero (or any other OEM) wheels!

Last edited:
Reactions: tvguy710
Interesting.
I was eyeing that same purchase, but was turned off by the Pirelli tires.
Ended up ordering a set from TireRack that has Tesla hub-centric wheels (MSW Type 30) and Michelin X-Ice Xi3 tires for $1900:
https://www.tirerack.com/snow/Winte...&autoModel=Model+3&autoYear=2017&autoModClar=

There are no tire restrictions on the wheels, Aero or otherwise, beyond the obvious diameter match and reasonable tire width match to the width of the wheel iself.
In other words - any stock-sized tires you buy would work with Aero (or any other OEM) wheels!

After doing some research on the tires, I actually think the pirelli Sottozero 3s (now made in stock Tesla 18” size) are the best fit for me. We get a lot of freezing temperatures here, but usually only have snow on the road for about 5 to 10 days out of the season. Other then that it’s moist or wet roadways, low temps, and slush. The Sottozero 3s seem to handle a little better then Blizzaks and xIce in those conditions.

I also really like the aero wheels. I like that I can opt to use with the cover or without and that I gain a little aero performance when using the cover. ~$225/wheel isn’t terrible either... just wanna know what factory Tesla is using to build this wheel because they seem to be really under producing!

I had a service appointment last week at the Schaumburg, IL location and they were able to procure 4 Aero Wheels for me ($220 each) on 2 days notice. I didn't end up buying them, as I found an awesome used set of Aero's with X-Ice3's already installed from a forum member, so those 4 Aero Wheels may still be at the Schaumburg, IL location if you are having trouble finding / getting them.

I hope that this helps someone.
Stach

After doing some research on the tires, I actually think the pirelli Sottozero 3s (now made in stock Tesla 18” size) are the best fit for me. We get a lot of freezing temperatures here, but usually only have snow on the road for about 5 to 10 days out of the season. Other then that it’s moist or wet roadways, low temps, and slush. The Sottozero 3s seem to handle a little better then Blizzaks and xIce in those conditions.

I also really like the aero wheels. I like that I can opt to use with the cover or without and that I gain a little aero performance when using the cover. ~$225/wheel isn’t terrible either... just wanna know what factory Tesla is using to build this wheel because they seem to be really under producing!
For steering response and handling feel, the Sottozero 3s are dramatically better than the Blizzaks and X-Ice. Check Craigslist for a set of used Model 3 aero wheels in your area. You should be able to find a complete set with aero covers and TPMS for less than the cost of the wheels alone from Tesla.

For steering response and handling feel, the Sottozero 3s are dramatically better than the Blizzaks and X-Ice. Check Craigslist for a set of used Model 3 aero wheels in your area. You should be able to find a complete set with aero covers and TPMS for less than the cost of the wheels alone from Tesla.

There are only a handful of Model 3's around here and I haven't seen a single one with different wheels.

Good evening, everyone.

In Northern California I can find people selling a full set of M3 stock wheels with tires for $600 on Craigslist. Hopefully you can find something similar in your area.

Do note that the stock tires are low rolling resistance tires that has gives the car about 10% more range over regular tires. I haven't done my research but it'd be good to find a set that is also fuel efficient.

if someone finds this thread and finds they can't get OEM 18" aeros from Tesla there is an aftermarket alternative. https://www.fastwheels.ca/productinfo.aspx?wn=ev01(+)&fn=titanium

if you are in Candada they sell those from fastwheels.ca (dealer loookup, multiple dealers in Canada). If you are in America you have to buy them from canadawheels.ca.

https://www.canadawheels.ca/fast-wheels/ev01-plus-titanium-w162150 is $230.xx a wheel or $921.xx a set in the US with tax/shipping included.

• Informative
Reactions: TomB985
if someone finds this thread and finds they can't get OEM 18" aeros from Tesla there is an aftermarket alternative.

if you are in Candada they sell those from fastwheels.ca (dealer loookup, multiple dealers in Canada). If you are in America you have to buy them from canadawheels.ca.

https://www.canadawheels.ca/fast-wheels/ev01-plus-titanium-w162150 is $230.xx a wheel or $921.xx a set in the US with tax/shipping included.

Apparently the store is offline right now, but what do you mean aftermarket alternative? Are they replicas of the aero wheels and covers? Or are they just an option that fits the Tesla? TireRack has a few compatible options as well, but I just like those Aeros :)

Apparently the store is offline right now, but what do you mean aftermarket alternative? Are they replicas of the aero wheels and covers? Or are they just an option that fits the Tesla? TireRack has a few compatible options as well, but I just like those Aeros :)

even discussing this is confusing, the American sales site canadawheels.ca was doing maintenance when you and I were posting and is back up now.

the Canadian site https://www.fastwheels.ca/productinfo.aspx?wn=ev01(+)&fn=titanium shows it as well.

They are not replicas. It's a unique design lighter wheels, with aero covers. After testing they are about the same efficiency as the OEM wheels around 75mph/120kph. But they don't look the same at all.

I'm just saying they are available if you can't find OEM wheels because they are out of stock. Not saying these are better, just that they are available.

even discussing this is confusing, the American sales site canadawheels.ca was doing maintenance when you and I were posting and is back up now.

the Canadian site https://www.fastwheels.ca/productinfo.aspx?wn=ev01(+)&fn=titanium shows it as well.

They are not replicas. It's a unique design lighter wheels, with aero covers. After testing they are about the same efficiency as the OEM wheels around 75mph/120kph. But they don't look the same at all.

I'm just saying they are available if you can't find OEM wheels because they are out of stock. Not saying these are better, just that they are available.

Does anyone have experience with these at all? These look decent, and was looking for aeros for a set of winter tires this season...

I'd also like to know if anyone has any experience with the FastWheels EV01(+) wheels. I'm thinking they could be a nice alternative to the aero wheels so that my winter and summer rims are not identical.

Or for wheels that will fit the Tesla aero wheel covers I'm also seeing replica aero wheels being sold on some websites.
E.g., https://www.spencetire.com/model-3.html

Has anyone seen these wheels before or had any experience here?