Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aero or Sport wheels

Are you ordering Aero or Sport wheels?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Because 1) if you standardize inefficient wheels then the reported EPA range will be hurt; and 2) the rest of us don't want our ranges being hurt because you want to look "baller". What else, should we have the mass increased because you want to have hydraulics standard so the car can hop? Hey, let's standardize a giant wing on top so you can get more downforce (or at least look like you are), why not? Let's keep adding mass and drag standard until you think it's "baller" enough, so that we end up with a car that goes less distance per charge than a Leaf.

I feel for the Tesla aero engineers who worked so hard to get the aero drag down so that the vehicle could get a decent range and the pack not be obscenely large / expensive, only to have people want to ruin their drag coefficient for "bling".

We'll have to agree to disagree. I don't care about looking "baller" - I do care about looking normal (to put it politely). The 19" rims aren't anything fancy, they're just similar to the generic rims of the S. If they made this design in the 18" version for free I'd take it and shut up.

You enjoy your tires, I'll enjoy mine.

I am definitely the minority here but I LOVE the aeros. I wanted to get black rims so that's a win. I want the most range out of my car so now I'm 2 for 2. Honestly if the sports were standard and the aeros were premium, I would pay the premium for the aeros. And no this is not a troll post haha
I don't think the aeros are ugly. Definitely not spending $1,500 to get something else.

Aeros are ugly!!! Will take them and sell the wheels and tires to someone who would like to have the wheels for winter tires, then buy 18" wheels and tires from Tire Rack. I will price the takeoff Aero wheels with tires for $1000 or offer. Of course I cannot do this until I get my car in the first half of next year!!

Slightly off topic, does anyone know if these wheels are interchangeable with the Model S? I'd like to go with the 19" or 20" Axis MS wheels. I think the prototype cars in the March 2016 reveal had 20" wheels.

Looks like the aftermarket is jumping in Tesla Model 3 aftermarket modifications are already being revealed

Some of the most popular Tesla aftermarket tuners are Tsportline, which claims to be the “world’s first Tesla tuner”, and Unplugged Performance, which offers some of the most popular aftermarket products for Tesla vehicles. True to their claim of being “first”, Tsportline is already revealing new mods for the Model 3.

They started with a render of their “Model 3 Sport Package” on a Midnight Silver Metallic car with their chrome black out package:
I am not sure about body kits becoming really popular on Model 3, but I would expect that aftermarket wheels could become an important business, especially since Tesla is only making available two options: 18″ Aero wheels or 19″ Sport wheels.

Tsportline says that they will be offering both their locally made “20” forged wheels” and “20” flow forged wheels” for the Tesla Model 3. Here they released a concept of their 114 wheel design in Diamond Black with Carbon Sports Package on a black Model 3 and mesh wheels on a blue Model 3 with carbon fiber underbody

model-3-tsporline.jpeg

Reactions: tracksyde
Because 1) if you standardize inefficient wheels then the reported EPA range will be hurt; and 2) the rest of us don't want our ranges being hurt because you want to look "baller". What else, should we have the mass increased because you want to have hydraulics standard so the car can hop? Hey, let's standardize a giant wing on top so you can get more downforce (or at least look like you are), why not? Let's keep adding mass and drag standard until you think it's "baller" enough, so that we end up with a car that goes less distance per charge than a Leaf.

I feel for the Tesla aero engineers who worked so hard to get the aero drag down so that the vehicle could get a decent range and the pack not be obscenely large / expensive, only to have people want to ruin their drag coefficient for "bling".

I don't believe there will be a performance difference between the 18" and 19" wheels and I don't like the fact that they are making us pay an additional 1500 for a nicer wheel. They should offer both wheels st same price then give the option of $1500 for the 19" wheel. Which is totally ridiculous. Same thing with spending $1000 for a color. I feel they are nicke and diming us.

I don't believe there will be a performance difference between the 18" and 19" wheels

Feel free to disbelieve reality.

and I don't like the fact that they are making us pay an additional 1500 for a nicer wheel.

They're giving you the option to pay for a worse wheel. And the aero wheels are standard because they improve the EPA range, which is based on standard equipment.

The lowest energy consumption (and thus longest range, fastest charging, smallest required battery pack size and thus lowest purchase price and mass) is for as small of wheels as possible, fully shrouded. Since most people like you hate the look of wheel skirts, the next best is fully flat caps on as small of wheels as possible so as little air is dragged in as possible. Since people like you hate that look too, the next best is what Tesla is doing - 18" standard with a mostly flat aero cap. Of course, you complain about that too, no shock. So they give you an option to ruin your aero and look more baller with larger turbine wheels. And you complain about having to pay for it, of course.

Large rims are about aesthetics. Of the "performance" characteristics, the only thing it helps is cornering feel on dry ground. They hurt cornering on wet ground, icy ground, loose ground, hurt acceleration in all conditions, braking in all conditions, ride comfort, road noise and essentially everything else. Look at F1 cars. They use 13" wheels. There's a reason for this. Giant rims get put on sports cars because people like you pay more when they see them, not because they're a good thing. Sidewalls are a good thing. Having airspace between the tread and the rim is a good thing.

Same thing with spending $1000 for a color. I feel they are nicke and diming us.

Paying for colour is indeed nickel and diming, but unfortunately it's a pretty standard type of nickel and diming in this vehicle class. It's more common for manufacturers to have two base colours (basic black or basic white), but Tesla has fewer colour options period.