Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aero rims with wider tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After more than one rim scrape and subsequent repair, I figured we were in the clear. Then my husband took the car out for a drive and came back with another case of curb rash. He swears it wasn't him, but I have my doubts. ;) I've done it myself, even when it looks as though there's a clear gap between the car and the curb, so I'm betting this won't be the last time it happens.

Wondering if anyone has put slightly wider tires on their Aero rims, e.g. 245 or 255? Any info regarding significant negative impacts on driving/range/safety and/or pictures showing how much the tire bulges out from the rim would be very helpful. I am aware there are various rim guards available, but just looking for info on / pictures of the wider tires for the moment.

Thanks in advance!

Reactions: suwaneedad
Unfortunately, I’m getting more experience fixing Curb Rash than I’d like. Shared my solution in this thread/post and 2 videos.
Tesla Model 3 Curb Rash Fix
Tesla Model 3 Curb Rash Fix Update!
I used this touch up paint I bought on eBay to repair my wife’s Model 3 Wheels twice. Very easy. I’m a novice.
Wheel Touch Up Paint for Tesla Sonic Carbon 21 19 Gray Touchup Model S X 3 Pen | eBay
View attachment 336595
I recommend you use a multi tool to smooth out the texture.
Oscillating Multi-Tool
View attachment 336593
Doesn’t have to be perfect, just not as noticeable. It’s likely to happen again.
Here’s the touched up wheel.
View attachment 336594

Reactions: lozza and Kira
I remember seeing someone who had 245 tires on the aeros and it made the wheels look slightly but subtly better as well. I don't think there will be any issues as I plan on going with 245s myself on the next tire upgrade. One thing to note is with 245, the wheel overall is 1% larger than 235 so your speedometer is going to be off by 1%. So if you're driving 101 mph, your speedometer will show 100 mph.

• Helpful
Reactions: Kira
I remember seeing someone who had 245 tires on the aeros and it made the wheels look slightly but subtly better as well. I don't think there will be any issues as I plan on going with 245s myself on the next tire upgrade. One thing to note is with 245, the wheel overall is 1% larger than 235 so your speedometer is going to be off by 1%. So if you're driving 101 mph, your speedometer will show 100 mph.

Interestingly, the OEM tires on 18" Aero, 19" Sport, and 20" Sport wheels have increasing diameters:

235/45R18, 26.3", 790 revs. per mile https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Primacy+MXM4
235/40R19, 26.4", 787 revs. per mile https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Continental&tireModel=ProContact+RX
235/35ZR20, 26.5", 786 revs. per mile https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Pilot+Sport+4S

Both are less than a 1% difference (19s and 20s stock vs 18s), so not enough to really matter...

245/45-18s are 1.5%, and 255/45-18s are 2.7% (255/40-18 is 1.1% the other direction so closer at least)

The "ideal" size on the 18s would be 265/40-18 since they're identical to stock diameter.

Technically 265 calls for a 9" rim

Tire rack when you ask will tell you "officially" they only approve them for "track or off road" use which is a CYA thing, but they should work fine and tons of folks on other sport sedan forums run them without issue on 8.5" rims.

• Helpful
Reactions: lozza and Kira
Thanks for the input so far. :) I found a post & picture of 255/40's on the 18" rims that seems promising (on the Model 3 Owners Club forum). It's a little difficult to tell from the angle whether that width would provide any meaningful buffer against curbs, but it looks like it might. Will have to dig out the curb rash repair kit (again) for now and keep my eye out for a good deal on a set of tires.

• Helpful
Reactions: lemketron
I switched to 245/45-18 with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ tires from the original Michelin Primacy MXM4 tires. I noticed my energy consumption went up about 10-15% . I like that the tires are wider and should help protect from curb rash, but I hate that the ultra high performance tire and wider tread cause more energy use.

Also, all tires are different and even the same numerical width tires have different actual widths on different rims, different tread widths, as well as different sidewall structure. The OEM Michelin Primacy MXM4 have more rounded sidewalls that narrow as they reach the tread. My Michelin X-ice Xi3 winter tires in the exact same OEM size have more squared sidewalls and they actually protrude a little past the wheel rims. Might not be enough to protect from curb damage depending on how fast you're driving, though.

• Helpful
Reactions: SlicedBr3ad
I also recently got the slightly-wider Pilot Sport A/S 3+ tires, and love the way they look. I haven't done as much highway driving lately, so not sure how much range loss it may have caused me.
Another plus: they were $100 cheaper per tire compared to stock MXM4 tires, but so are the wider MXM4's since they dont have the sound-dampening foam (negligibly louder, imho)

tire.JPG

I also recently got the slightly-wider Pilot Sport A/S 3+ tires, and love the way they look. I haven't done as much highway driving lately, so not sure how much range loss it may have caused me.
Another plus: they were $100 cheaper per tire compared to stock MXM4 tires, but so are the wider MXM4's since they dont have the sound-dampening foam (negligibly louder, imho)

View attachment 561181

earlier photo attachment failed - here it is:
tire.JPG

• Informative
Reactions: untilcomplete
Interestingly, the OEM tires on 18" Aero, 19" Sport, and 20" Sport wheels have increasing diameters:

235/45R18, 26.3", 790 revs. per mile https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Primacy+MXM4
235/40R19, 26.4", 787 revs. per mile https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Continental&tireModel=ProContact+RX
235/35ZR20, 26.5", 786 revs. per mile https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Pilot+Sport+4S
The Track Package or whatever comes with 245/35 20s, so that's what I'm using as my theoretical max.