Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aero Shield Panel

Have you had to replace a M3 aero shield panel?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Which world am I living in? Tesla wants to charge me almost $1000 to replace both front and mid shields!!! The front shield came off while I was driving on highway in a heavy rainy day. I didn't hit anything or don't recall ran over large puddle. I did hear two very strange noise 30 mins before I heard the scary dragging noises. I called Telsa roadside assistance right awy, to tow the car, they told me it is ok for me to cotinue to drive home or to their service centre. my car was 2019 M3. Now theyh are tell me both front and mid shield needs to be replaced and I am paying for the cost??? seriously, this is not covered under warrenty? so I am not suppose to drive Tesla whenever it is raining heavily???

Which world am I living in? Tesla wants to charge me almost $1000 to replace both front and mid shields!!! The front shield came off while I was driving on highway in a heavy rainy day. I didn't hit anything or don't recall ran over large puddle. I did hear two very strange noise 30 mins before I heard the scary dragging noises. I called Telsa roadside assistance right awy, to tow the car, they told me it is ok for me to cotinue to drive home or to their service centre. my car was 2019 M3. Now theyh are tell me both front and mid shield needs to be replaced and I am paying for the cost??? seriously, this is not covered under warrenty? so I am not suppose to drive Tesla whenever it is raining heavily???
Collision/flood damage is never covered under warranty. They likely assume you have hit something. If there are apparent tears on the shield that may be a very natural assumption.

There was a TSB for older Model 3s before December 2018 that were susceptible to damage when travelling through standing water. They have since revised the design, so that TSB does not apply to you.
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10153430-9999.pdf

Reactions: texas_star_TM3
Collision/flood damage is never covered under warranty. They likely assume you have hit something. If there are apparent tears on the shield that may be a very natural assumption.

There was a TSB for older Model 3s before December 2018 that were susceptible to damage when travelling through standing water. They have since revised the design, so that TSB does not apply to you.
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10153430-9999.pdf
both can be true at the same time...

yes - Tesla isn't covering those shields ripping off and no - the revised shield is still a flimsy, pathetic excuse of an aeroshield...

not sure if the latest cars have a solid plastic shield... but even the 2019 revised version on my Model 3 is weak, felty stuff which tears super easily... charging $1000 to replace that felt stuff by losening a few bolts and tightening again (in the bay on the lift tops for 10 min, parts cost maybe $100) is highway robbery....

You're better off buying improved aluminum shields on Amazon or eBay and installing them yourself. At worst, take them to the SC and have then install them. You'll have to pay labor but it's a quick job and buying the parts separately along with the labor will be much less than $1000.
It is definitely better and even cheaper to replace the shields with aluminum ones that offer better protection. However, I doubt a Tesla service center will install an aftermarket shield. That can be done DIY if you have portable car ramps, or any service shop that can lift the car should be able to do it.

Reactions: texas_star_TM3
It is definitely better and even cheaper to replace the shields with aluminum ones that offer better protection. However, I doubt a Tesla service center will install an aftermarket shield. That can be done DIY if you have portable car ramps, or any service shop that can lift the car should be able to do it.
Just goes to show you the inconsistency. I had them install an aftermarket one and there was no push back at all.