Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aero Wheel Cap Kit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lost two of them within the first week of installing them. Is there a secret to keep them securely fastened? There should no play when installed, but these dont snap lock into place. Will be going back fo lug nut covers and circular center cap for the time being but those nut caps have faded to gray in less than a year.

D5DD927B-D0ED-4F4F-99C7-DA0E424C2095.jpeg

Dang that stinks, so they just fell off?? I haven't used those, I got a cheapo set of the old style off Ebay. They were not the OEM Tesla ones because they were out of stock. I was surprised at the quality of them considering I know they are a Chinese knock off. They even included a set of Tesla valve stem covers in the package for free. LOL

Sorry to hear that! Are you talking about the centre one? Or the five per wheel? I've had mine since I bought it Sept. 2018 and they've never come off. That's through dust, three Canadian winters. The centre ones are spring-loaded and are hard to get off.

I don't understand the appeal of these "caps". They don't provide any aero efficiency advantages and they do not better than leaving the lug nuts exposed...

are you talking about the 1 piece caps like in the op's picture?

The lug nuts provided with the 18" aero wheels are ugly steel things that need some type of cover whether it is that one piece one or the individual covers that tesla sells with the aero cap kit.

are you talking about the 1 piece caps like in the op's picture?

The lug nuts provided with the 18" aero wheels are ugly steel things that need some type of cover whether it is that one piece one or the individual covers that tesla sells with the aero cap kit.

Yeah, I'm referring to that one piece c(r)ap that Tesla now sells. Especially not for $60, and they don't even hold in place haha

Reactions: 808BOB
You are putting them on wrong if they do not snap into place. You have to press hard, but I assure you they snap. It only fits this way.

Like you, I initially had some play with them but pressed hard, basically punched it and they snapped. Another user on a different forum had the same issue as you saying they did not snap, but when I told him to use more force he got it to snap.

I have had mine for a few weeks, drive daily at 80mph without issue.

Attachments

• IMG_1128.jpeg
    IMG_1128.jpeg
    571.1 KB · Views: 330
I don't understand the appeal of these "caps". They don't provide any aero efficiency advantages nor do they look better than just leaving the lug nuts exposed...
I don't understand the appeal of these "caps". They don't provide any aero efficiency advantages nor do they look better than just leaving the lug nuts exposed...
1) the Aeros give negligible extra range. Some say an extra 10%, others only 4%...not an issue for me so off they come. 2) they scratch up the rims, do off they come. 3) not my taste, they’re ugly to me, so off they come.
I’d rather take a range hit, remove the scratchy unattractive plastic covers, and show off the rims.

1) the Aeros give negligible extra range. Some say an extra 10%, others only 4%...not an issue for me so off they come. 2) they scratch up the rims, do off they come. 3) not my taste, they’re ugly to me, so off they come.
I’d rather take a range hit, remove the scratchy unattractive plastic covers, and show off the rims.

The Aero covers scratch the rims? How's that? I bought a used 2018 TM3 where the previous owner left the aero covers on the entire time. When I took them off, the rims were literally brand new underneath except for a small amount of wear around the edges where the aero covers stop. The covers themselves seemed to have protected the rims very well.

Reactions: Oil Freedom
The Aero covers scratch the rims? How's that? I bought a used 2018 TM3 where the previous owner left the aero covers on the entire time. When I took them off, the rims were literally brand new underneath except for a small amount of wear around the edges where the aero covers stop. The covers themselves seemed to have protected the rims very well.

There have been enough photos and people mentioning it, that it is a valid concern.