Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aero wheel covers and brake heating?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SMAlset

Mar 4, 2017
SF Bay Area
Talking last night with a car friend about what option/trim choices we were inclined to go with when we put in our order. Got to the subject of the 19 inch sport wheels and the 18 inch aero covered wheels and pros and cons of both. He expressed a concern that the aero wheel covers, despite the car having regen braking, will cause the brakes to heat and shorten the life of the brakes. I know it's too early to hear from owners yet on this but wondering what people think about this at this point in time. I know the covers can come off so if you get them your not exactly stuck with them.

Many, many other ICE that rely totally on brakes for stopping haven't experienced this issue with even less wheel ventilation (plus a really hot ICE right next to them), so not sure why anyone would think an EV would somehow be worse.
Also remembering several cars that faired in the rear wheels behind body panels.
Obviously the friend has never driven an EV or realized the impact of regen on brake life.

Still awaiting my Model 3, but I can say that even on hybrid cars like my Prius, the mechanical brakes are hardly ever used. They engage when you decelerate to under 7pmh and in fast emergency breaking - i.e., both situations where there isn't even enough time to generate much heat.

Talking last night with a car friend about what option/trim choices we were inclined to go with when we put in our order. Got to the subject of the 19 inch sport wheels and the 18 inch aero covered wheels and pros and cons of both. He expressed a concern that the aero wheel covers, despite the car having regen braking, will cause the brakes to heat and shorten the life of the brakes. I know it's too early to hear from owners yet on this but wondering what people think about this at this point in time. I know the covers can come off so if you get them your not exactly stuck with them.
Unless you are going to be doing autocross or driving the Nurburgring, there is no way the brakes are going to overheat just because of the aero covers. Besides the aero covers are not totally enclosed.

Besides everything that’s been mentioned just look on the other side of each wheel for how much venting is still there.

Thanks everyone! Been leaning towards the 18 inch wheels and not sure how I feel looks-wise about the covers but good to know there won't be an issue with overheating. Appreciate all the responses.

I think the Aero wheels are a no-brainer. You’ll have a choice of covers on or off, and soon the 19” wheels will be readily available for re-sale at good prices should you change your mind. Now speaking of these wheels, did anyone notice that on the Tesla Shop page for Model 3 winter wheel packages, the 18” and 19” wheels were officially dubbed as “Pinwheel” and “Stiletto” wheels, respectively, as late as last week? Oh my. They have since changed them to “Aero” and “Sport” after someone sane woke up and renamed them. You can still see the naming progression on Google Search if you want to see for yourself.

Unless you are going to be doing autocross or driving the Nurburgring, there is no way the brakes are going to overheat just because of the aero covers. Besides the aero covers are not totally enclosed.
Brakes will not overheat in practically any car in a normal autocross, and anyway wheel covers are specifically prohibited on course because of the danger that they might come off and hit a course worker. Not that I would ever autocross a Tesla...