Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aero wheel covers came off driving through areas of high water

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lots of heavy rain here in Houston. I left work early, there were some areas with high water, but nothing crazy. I drove through it in my model 3. When i got home, noticed the aero wheel covers all came off. Kind of surprised that they can come off that easy. Do you guys/gals think I have a case with Tesla Service to replace them for free? I know! I'm one the few that actually likes the aero wheel covers lol.

Sure, those covers are acting like a boat propellers. So, next time you should move backwards and they will stay ON. lol :);):)

The covers don’t have a cis/trans orientation (if that kind of makes sense). One side will always fall off whether you’re traveling backwards or forwards.

@megahead34 The two that came off were from the same side of the car?

That’s what’s always bothered me about these turbine style rims/covers. On one side they make sense, but on the other side they should be mirror image to match, right? Otherwise looks like they’re spinning the wrong way...

Reactions: Watts_Up and PACEMD
Note: I read that some Model 3 lost their rear bumper when passing over some flooded streets.

This was caused by the rear diffuser under the car between the rear axial and the rear bumper
accumulates water and mud projected by the wheels.

The diffuser size is about 2 feet by 3 feet, and act like a big scoop and there is no holes to evacuate and drain the water.

Last edited:
True, but this is a $40K car, it should be able to drive through 4" of water with no issue

...and now you can! Problem solved.

Seriously, you should check your aero shield condition as well. The rear (and even the front) will tear if you blast through water too deep, too fast. Just look under the car to see if anything is hanging down in the middle near the back of the battery pack.

The covers don’t have a cis/trans orientation (if that kind of makes sense). One side will always fall off whether you’re traveling backwards or forwards.

@megahead34 The two that came off were from the same side of the car?

That’s what’s always bothered me about these turbine style rims/covers. On one side they make sense, but on the other side they should be mirror image to match, right? Otherwise looks like they’re spinning the wrong way...

All 4 came off!