Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aero Wheel Covers - Do They Add Range?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dark wheels will go out of style just like chrome wheels did. Silver wheels have never gone out of style.

You sound like my daughters telling me about style. I like what I like, style be damned! Then again, when my daughter told me "black out" was the style, it gave me a new perspective on those fugly wheels. Then I told her about bell bottom jeans...

• Funny
Reactions: debuggr
You sound like my daughters telling me about style. I like what I like, style be damned! Then again, when my daughter told me "black out" was the style, it gave me a new perspective on those fugly wheels. Then I told her about bell bottom jeans...
I'm telling you about historical trends. Silver is always in style and matches everything. Dark wheels are a trend (that's nearly over now that everyone's grandpa is getting them) just like chrome wheels were.

I'm telling you about historical trends. Silver is always in style and matches everything. Dark wheels are a trend (that's nearly over now that everyone's grandpa is getting them) just like chrome wheels were.

Again you sound my like my daughters telling me about style which I don't care about -- I only know what I like, style be damned! -- so what's the point about telling me it's now about historical trends? That relates directly back to your point about "silver is always in style". Again, I couldn't care less.

As to everyone getting dark wheels, that's news to me. The vast majority on the roads here are silver and I find silver Prius like. When I changed out my S's stock silver rims to these dark grey aftermarket ones, first just for my summer rims, I couldn't bring myself to putting the silver ones back on and instead bought another set of the same aftermarket ones. The comments from family was it looked so much better -- and my co-workers thought I got a new Tesla. So if that's out of style, or will go out of style, that's fine by me.

Again, the aeros are fugly looking but growing on me, like the fish mouth on my S slowly did -- to the point that I even kind of like the gaping fish mouth now better than the refreshed version. So my preferences change with time -- not with the current style -- that I never care about trying to match or keep up with -- well, except I have had to get all new thin ties and I sure liked some of my old fat ones.

"Futuristic" was a word someone used to described the rims -- and another person said like the "Jetsons" and that's now lead to associations in my mind that makes me like them more and them growing on me even faster. I loved the Jetsons as a kid and the 3 is kind of like a Jetson vehicle with it's large glass roof and fugly looking rims. Now I just need a Jetson costume to drive it!

Last edited:
:D On the one hand ugly wheels increase range. On the other hand, it's a crime to put ugly wheels on any car, especially a $50k+ car.

And don't tell me the 18" wheels without the caps aren't ugly, too. Less ugly, but no one would buy them aftermarket.

Long live the beautiful 19" wheels.

Cue all of the disagrees.:D

Screen Shot 2018-07-13 at 6.17.39 PM.png

There. Now your post has the complete collection :D

I'll go ahead and chime in, because why not. They do not add range. They are more aero efficient, and all others are slightly less efficient.

??? Isn't... isn't that like saying something isn't less expensive you're just paying less for it? Super confused by that statement....

I agree that dark rims are a newer choice only around for the last decade. Silver has been around since rims. Is it a fad that will be out of style soon? Maybe, I don't know. Interestingly I wanted dark rims on my next car well before Tesla offered theirs on the Model 3. Lucky for me I got them included in the price of the car with no surcharge. I also do like the 19" wheels, but I wanted 18" for multiple reasons. If the 19" style and color where offered in 18" when I configured, I would have had a much harder decision. I love my de-aeroed rims though and especially loved getting them for free. I also agree they look best on the red.

It’s a poor match with chrome deletes.

I also don’t think much of the shape, though that’s obviously highly subjective.

Last edited:
Can anyone comment on the ride difference between the 18s and 19s? Aesthetics/range aside, one of the consistent comments I've heard on the M3 is that the ride is a little stiff (which is to be expected on a performance sedan), but frankly I'm a family guy and want a buttery smooth ride.

I just did some controlled tests at sea level, 89º F., tire pressure 43 psi, level straight road, both directions with +/-7 mph wind, 60 mph on AP ( 59 actually ). I ran two tests with the covers on, one before and one after the covers off test. Because there was wind, the efficiency gain can be extrapolated due to the car airspeed being between 52 mph and 66 mph. Efficiency gain at 52 mph airspeed was 1%, at 59 mph 1.5% and at 66 mph 2%. This can reasonably be extrapolated to 3% at 80 mph airspeed. If you drive 80 mph, you can gain 9 miles of maximum range with the covers on. If you run between 90% and 20% ( 217 miles ) you'll gain 6 miles. Not worth it at low speeds, some benefit at higher speeds. The 4.3% bandied about would not be achieved til near 90 mph. I'm leaving them on and painting them silver with Plasti Grip.

• Informative
Reactions: ConcordeSST