Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aero wheel details?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

buttershrimp

Click my signature to Go Mad Max Mode
Supporting Member
Jun 17, 2017
ATX
I'm posting this thread to ask if anyone has closeup photos of the components of the aero caps, or installation instructions to install the aero caps? I'm interested particularly because the arachnid style wheel beneath the aero caps might be replicated on a model s arachnid wheel...

IMG_3958.PNG
Hard to understand what you are looking for (caps on or off) but I hope this helps.

Side Note: I had seen this 85 in Studio City. I took a picture because it makes me want to collect Tesla wheels. The aero wheels are pretty cool. I like the old 19" wheels a lot and I've got a set of archnids coming. Cyclone and slipstream not my favorites. None of this side note helps answer your question sorry.

I'm posting this thread to ask if anyone has closeup photos of the components of the aero caps, or installation instructions to install the aero caps? I'm interested particularly because the arachnid style wheel beneath the aero caps might be replicated on a model s arachnid wheel...

I'm not sure why you think the aero wheels are caps. To the best of my knowledge, Tesla has never sold caps to any wheels, just the whole wheel. The Aero wheels were an early wheel available as an option, but were discontinued fairly quickly as the demand wasn't high. You can still find them in ones and twos on eBay every few months if you really want a set.

Those are Model 3 wheels that you are talking about, not offered on the MS. Maybe better to post there? I think I saw some with the caps taken off, but not of the caps themselves after they were off. They were just interested in the appearance of the wheels.

The only cap on the Model S aero wheel is that small silver circle in the center of the wheel that you see in the picture that DHG. provided. Other than that small cap, the wheel is one piece.

I better add that the center cap itself is bigger than just the silver part. It extends a couple more inches outward and the plastic there is the same color as the wheels themselves.

Last edited:
I should have clarified... I'm looking to figure out if it is remotely possible to create a new type of aero wheel using the forged arachnid wheel of a model S.

Why you ask? Because I'm stupid. but also because the new aero wheel on the model 3 has been referred to as a cap in a recent teslarati or electrek article... so I'm curious how the model 3 aero wheel actually comes apart.

It seems to me that if that new aero wheel attaches to a pair of spokes on the arachnid wheel of a model 3, then perhaps someone with way too much time on their hands, (or in my case, someone who likes attempting to modifying perfectly fine normal equipment), could essentially modify a lightweight forged wheel (like the arachnid for model S) so it could be modified quickly for really long trips to gain 3-5% of range.

Am I actually going to do it? Very likely No... but I want to have my bases covered when I become friends with a random aerodynamics savant/millionaire with a 3-d printer and some extra carbon fiber...

I'm really just wondering how to replicate the look of the new model 3 wheel on a model S and I'm curious how the new model 3 comes apart. There have been some posts on the forum with folks putting aerodiscs on their model S, but it seems to me that the new model 3 aero is a really unique concept since it is essentially two wheels in one.

come on, isn't there someone out there with the patent and a lifted an internal BMW spy dossier with pics of Tesla's uber aero wheel-schtienitzl?

View attachment 243120 Hard to understand what you are looking for (caps on or off) but I hope this helps.

Side Note: I had seen this 85 in Studio City. I took a picture because it makes me want to collect Tesla wheels. The aero wheels are pretty cool. I like the old 19" wheels a lot and I've got a set of archnids coming. Cyclone and slipstream not my favorites. None of this side note helps answer your question sorry.

Seems to me that you are also in the market for my new copy cat invention for model S... I'll count you as a fellow customer if I find millionaire engineer fabricator friend.... also I have a pair of arachnids coming and am super psyched...

Reactions: P100DHG.
@buttershrimp I like your thought experiment. Let me join you on this. This would be great for Model S or X. Around town I want my turbines or arachnids because they look cool but when I drive from Los Angeles to San Fransisco my primary concern is range and minimizing charge time so... I pop on my aero caps and get a 10% boost in range (more or less making up for the lost range because I have 21" or 22" wheels). When I get to SF I pop off my aero caps, put them in my embroidered Tesla carrying case, zip it up and throw it in my frunk.

Copyright 2017 DHG & Buttershrimp. You can PM us and we'll tell you where to send the check for the licensing of this brilliant idea Tesla or Tesla accessory maker. ;)

Reactions: buttershrimp
@buttershrimp I like your thought experiment. Let me join you on this. This would be great for Model S or X. Around town I want my turbines or arachnids because they look cool but when I drive from Los Angeles to San Fransisco my primary concern is range and minimizing charge time so... I pop on my aero caps and get a 10% boost in range (more or less making up for the lost range because I have 21" or 22" wheels). When I get to SF I pop off my aero caps, put them in my embroidered Tesla carrying case, zip it up and throw it in my frunk.

Copyright 2017 DHG & Buttershrimp. You can PM us and we'll tell you where to send the check for the licensing of this brilliant idea Tesla or Tesla accessory maker. ;)

Exactly!!!!! Also, because the arachnids are slightly lighter than the slipstream wheels, the aerodynamic gains might just put the 21 inch performance wheel's efficiency on par with the regular slipstreams, since the only issue would be the slightly higher rotational mass further from the center of the wheel, and the aerodynamic loss from the slightly wider wheel and also the stickier tire... even so, I would think it would come pretty darn close to the slip stream wheel,

and if that doesn't work... we can launch our second product that our millionaire fabricator aerodynamic inventor will help us create... a flattened F1 style side mirrors that replace the plastic housing of the current mirrors... with a flatter shape... It would be like two shiny Ginsu knives sticking off the side of our model S's!!!!! Whooooosh!

Dang G.... I think I just broke the 400 mile barrier on a single charge son! And you know our efficiencies just dropped another 10 Wh/mile from the aerodynamic slickness of our new business idea...

DHG and Buttershrimp fo life! As Kevin Garnet would say... "Anything is possible!!!!!!!!"