Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aero Wheel Hubcaps. Anyone Do Real World Tests on Range?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is widely reported that the Aero wheel hubcaps increase performance by about 4%. Has anyone really tested this to see if it is true versus just taking them off and putting the $50 cover kit on instead?

The reason I ask is that I would think they would have designed the aero wheel hubcaps so that they had a right hand and left hand set for airflow. They didn't. You can put any of them on any wheel, so I wonder how effective they really are if they aren't taking this into account.

Reactions: coleAK
It is widely reported that the Aero wheel hubcaps increase performance by about 4%. Has anyone really tested this to see if it is true versus just taking them off and putting the $50 cover kit on instead?

The reason I ask is that I would think they would have designed the aero wheel hubcaps so that they had a right hand and left hand set for airflow. They didn't. You can put any of them on any wheel, so I wonder how effective they really are if they aren't taking this into account.
I’m using the Aeros for winter and bought some BBS for summer. I would be willing to bet in the real world no noticeable difference in range between caps on or off.

I've definitely seen the difference, at least 4%.

I believe that the aero covers act more like a solid disk than any direction related impact. This keeps the airflow from trying to enter the wheel.

By the way, the hub is the 4 inch thing in the middle, the wheel is the 18 inch thing. Hub caps and aero wheel covers.
The $50 thing is the hub caps and the aero covers come with the car

Yet another range thread for Model 3’s. If you have a SR or MR, then I can see why range might be a slight concern and homely hubcaps useful. If you have a LR I can’t imagine even thinking about the question, unless you reside in Supercharger-challenged places like the entire state of North Dakota.

Hopefully Tesla will someday design better looking hubcaps and then owners won’t have to choose between aesthetics and additional range. My 75S — which currently gets about 235 miles on full charge — would benefit greatly from them and of course a few extra miles for my LR 3 wouldn’t be a bad thing.

Last edited:
101.6miles round trip / 99% highway / 70MPH / 70F / Autopilot / Fan speed 3 (no AC)

Stock 18inch aero = 220wh/mi at 70F
Stock 18inch no aero cover = 229wh/mi at 70F
This difference could easily be attributed to a difference in wind velocity that you wouldn’t even notice. A 4 mph headwind vs a 4 mph tailwind would yield a larger discrepancy than this.

Reactions: coleAK
I’m not going to take the time to dig this out again but sometime last year 2 guys ran a fairly well controlled test in 2 identical Model 3 LRs. Test was an out & back I think about 70 highway miles each way with one car in the lead going out & the other car in the lead on the return. Repeated the run twice switching everything between cars to try to cancel out all the variables except the Aeros.

I may have mis-remembered some of the details of the test, but the conclusion was that the Aeros yielded a 3% range improvement.

I’d like to read more about this. Is there a thread or more details already posted?
No, I did the test in a LR RWD at three speeds, 52, 60, and 67 mph. A trip timer was used. The tests were on a straight, sea level road 3 miles in length in both directions. A series of runs were made with the covers on, then with the covers off and then with the covers on again within the space of an hour. Data was consistent. Results showed about 0.8% at 50mph, 1.5% at 60 mph and extrapolated to 2.2% at 70 mph and 3% at 80 mph. The purported 4% would have to be above 80 mph which I couldn't test. 18" wheels with aeros are significantly more efficient that 20" without. It's easy to see how a 18" RWD is 15% more efficient than a 20" AWD.

a bit off topic but not really...i saw a model 3 on the freeway last week with aero covers on the rear wheels, aero covers off the front...gave me a chuckle

from what i gathered loosely, the range increase is seen at higher speeds, north of 70mph. don't quote me on that.

i'm keeping my covers off, regardless of how much they help with range.

It is widely reported that the Aero wheel hubcaps increase performance by about 4%.

Whatever the improvement, it is more useful to talk about the Wh/mi improvement provided by the aeros at a specific speed than a %. This improvement, specified in Wh/mi at a certain speed, should be roughly the same regardless of exact Model 3 vehicle.

The reason it matters is that the aero wheel covers:
1) Provide minimal benefit below 40-50mph. Because aero just is not that significant there.
2) A % does not take into account whether the vehicle is RWD or AWD. A RWD vehicle will see a greater % improvement in efficiency due to its overall better efficiency. This means the aeros will buy you a few more miles of range in a RWD than an AWD.
3) Related, in winter time, these things matter even less. If your baseline consumption is more like 300Wh/mi in mid-winter because you're trying to stay warm, or are plowing snow with your tires, or you have studded tires (or performance tires!), or it's raining with a blasting crosswind, the aeros start to matter a lot less. They still help no matter what, of course.

Keeping the Wh/mi number (at a certain speed!) in mind allows you to determine the efficiency improvement more easily for a given set of conditions. (You can memorize a couple different speeds or just roughly scale that baseline number by (v2/v1)^2 for other cruising speeds.)

Based on above posted non-scientific tests, it does seem most likely that the improvement is something less than 10Wh/mi @70mph, but that's not nothing. Might be 15 miles of range improvement for an LR RWD vehicle at that speed (but again, the gain in miles depends on the efficiency being achieved for that drive!).

Last edited:
Reactions: sixela and Zoomit
I am a noob in the field, but would something like this, a parabolic disk, which is a bit more aerodynamic, provide even better range? I work for a hubcap company, and we certainly can do something like this - for Model 3, to start.
Hardspot - DEFLECKTOR
Nahhhh that looks good on a 1950 Chevy. It looks weird on a 21st century state of the art car.

Am I the only ones that love the aero look? Anyone in SoCal want to get rid of it let me know lol. I feel like I need an extra sent in case I lose one.

No, I did the test in a LR RWD at three speeds, 52, 60, and 67 mph. A trip timer was used. The tests were on a straight, sea level road 3 miles in length in both directions. A series of runs were made with the covers on, then with the covers off and then with the covers on again within the space of an hour. Data was consistent. Results showed about 0.8% at 50mph, 1.5% at 60 mph and extrapolated to 2.2% at 70 mph and 3% at 80 mph. The purported 4% would have to be above 80 mph which I couldn't test. 18" wheels with aeros are significantly more efficient that 20" without. It's easy to see how a 18" RWD is 15% more efficient than a 20" AWD.
Test length of only 3 miles would result in a higher % of acceleration/regen losses overhead, potentially why your numbers are coming in lower. What were the temps that day? Did the Supercan kick in?

Reactions: mswlogo