TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Aero wheels have returned

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by stickhog, Feb 22, 2014.

1. stickhog

stickhog Member

Just noticed the aero wheels are showing up again as a $2500 option in the design studio. Surprised that there was enough demand that TSLA brought them back from the dead. I've seen many Model Ss on the road, but only one with Aero wheels. Curious how many actually missed that option?

2. 100thMonkey

100thMonkey Member

kind of wondering if that's to appease those who want that bit of range back that was lost with loosing the ability to lower the air suspension all the way, seeing that it's not back yet on the latest firmware update...

3. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

Considering Tesla doesn't claim any range benefit from the air suspension on their website, this seems unlikely. They did claim a benefit from the wheels.

Aero wheels aren't showing up in the design studio for me. Maybe a temporary glitch?

4. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Here in the SF Bay Area I see multiple Tesla's on the road every day and I've never seen one with those wheels.

I do not see the wheels on the page at Model S Design Studio | Tesla Motors

5. stickhog

stickhog Member

Must've just been a temporary glitch as they're no longer there for me either.

6. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Incorrect.

Model S Features | Tesla Motors

7. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

And yet they never say how much. Every other range-improving option is accompanied by an actual estimate of the benefit received. For the suspension: nothing. Must be pretty negligible. Indeed, the design studio makes absolutely no claims about range at all.

Anyway, probably a discussion for another thread. Aero wheels still not showing in the studio. Looks like it was just some kind of website issue.

8. GenericSpoon

GenericSpoon Member

I still see them, on the Canadian website, but it isn't the first time this happens. Last time they appeared they were gone the next day, so it likely is just a glitch.

9. mhpr262

mhpr262 Member

I love all things Tesla but damn, those wheels are ugly. And I find it very hard to believe they cost so much more than the standard 19'' rims that a $2500 bonus is warranted in any way.

10. Ven Rala

Ven Rala Member

I don't think they are worth $2500 extra either, and they do look ugly online, but I saw them on a Model S a couple of weeks ago and they don't look as bad in person

11. dhanson865

dhanson865 Active Member

personally I'd be fine with having them on my car (prius, leaf, or tesla). $2500 for the wheels and $1000 for the tire upgrade on a 60 is a bit steep but I'd take both of those over many other optional upgrades on the 60/85.

12. invisik

invisik Member

My SC said they had some Aeros instock and pulled them out for me to look at. They do look at lot better in person, but still my car is coming with the upgraded 19's--will probably stay with them as they have the more classic fan-blade Tesla look. They are going to give me the option of swapping for the Aeros if I want when I take delivery of the car. The Aeros are so uncommon and weird, I'm tempted to get them.. and my car is gray so I'm hoping for some gray-synergy. We'll see.

-m

13. muleferg

muleferg Member

Coming soon to the Michelin plant in SC.

tweel-airless-tire-2.jpg

14. AoneOne

AoneOne Member

I have the Aero wheels on my blue S and I've only received compliments about them. I think their unconventional look is appropriate to the novelty of the car. Of course, it could just be that, in person, no one has been rude enough to say how ugly they really think they are. :)

15. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

The last I heard, these were energy hogs.

16. RavynArcadia

RavynArcadia P38188

They may be energy hogs but you won't have to worry about a flat tire. It is a bit on the ugly side though.

17. mcfadyena

mcfadyena Member

I've got Aeros, and it's the one of first thing people ask me about when they come to see my car. People love them. Black car, Aero wheels. I really like them and will use them for both summer and winter sets.