Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aero Wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
anyone surprised by how well the Aero Wheels look ? I bought the hub cap kit with the intention of taking the Aeros off but actually really like them and have kept them on ..

Yes ... I bought a kit to replace them, same as you, but have never even tried them. And, as I have mentioned in a few posts, they are the easiest to clean wheels I have ever had ... and with this weather that's very welcome!

anyone surprised by how well the Aero Wheels look ? I bought the hub cap kit with the intention of taking the Aeros off but actually really like them and have kept them on ..
So does that mean you're selling the hub cap kit! Out of interest did you buy the official version from Tesla or the cheaper versions off amazon? I was thinking of ordering these myself but might wait until I see the Aero Wheels in person - hopefully before end of the year.

I also like the Aeros which sit on Michelin Pilot sport 4 tyres. Having looked them up they are classed as summer tyres. I think they’ll be fine all winter in London but for our trip to the alps skiing in February has anyone any advice on whether to change them to winter tyres / or get snowchains / snow socks. I don’t want to get replacements rims as I’m not sure what they’d look like on a Tesla and the 3 is only on a 2 yr lease. We are going to avoriaz so really only the last hour of the journey is in the mountains. Any advice much appreciated.
Thanks
Ben

I also like the Aeros which sit on Michelin Pilot sport 4 tyres. Having looked them up they are classed as summer tyres. I think they’ll be fine all winter in London but for our trip to the alps skiing in February has anyone any advice on whether to change them to winter tyres / or get snowchains / snow socks. I don’t want to get replacements rims as I’m not sure what they’d look like on a Tesla and the 3 is only on a 2 yr lease. We are going to avoriaz so really only the last hour of the journey is in the mountains. Any advice much appreciated.
Thanks
Ben
all "normal" UK tyres are summer tyres. All season tyre are a bit of a myth in my opinion.
Unlike some places (e.g. Austria) France has no requirements for winter tyres so you don't have to get them. BUT even if you have them you are still legally required to have chains or socks.
I went to Flaine last year. spent £700 on tyres and wheels and then France had a heat wave. temperature on the way there was pushing 20 degrees which was not really suitable and once I got there they were not really needed so a bit of a waste.
BUT I could have arrived in a blizzard and really needed them you just never know
Avoriaz is pretty high so they would be useful but are they worth it? If you are planning to go lots of times then I would say probably yes
if its a one off I would recommend chains AND a set of autosocks.
The socks are great since they are very very quick and easy to get on and off and work amazingly but they are not massively durable so if you are going to constantly need the traction for a whole week then you fit the chains. if you just need to get out of an icy carpark or you get caught in a blizzard at night its a hell of a lot easier to fit socks.
Also Tesla say to fit the chains on the BACK wheels so with chains you will have traction but the steering could be compromised. If you have both you can always fit the chains to the back for the traction then put the socks on the front for steering.

There are also high end options like spike spiders which will give you the traction and durability of chains but the ease of fitting of socks but they are a little pricey.

all "normal" UK tyres are summer tyres. All season tyre are a bit of a myth in my opinion.
Unlike some places (e.g. Austria) France has no requirements for winter tyres so you don't have to get them. BUT even if you have them you are still legally required to have chains or socks.
I went to Flaine last year. spent £700 on tyres and wheels and then France had a heat wave. temperature on the way there was pushing 20 degrees which was not really suitable and once I got there they were not really needed so a bit of a waste.
BUT I could have arrived in a blizzard and really needed them you just never know
Avoriaz is pretty high so they would be useful but are they worth it? If you are planning to go lots of times then I would say probably yes
if its a one off I would recommend chains AND a set of autosocks.
The socks are great since they are very very quick and easy to get on and off and work amazingly but they are not massively durable so if you are going to constantly need the traction for a whole week then you fit the chains. if you just need to get out of an icy carpark or you get caught in a blizzard at night its a hell of a lot easier to fit socks.
Also Tesla say to fit the chains on the BACK wheels so with chains you will have traction but the steering could be compromised. If you have both you can always fit the chains to the back for the traction then put the socks on the front for steering.

There are also high end options like spike spiders which will give you the traction and durability of chains but the ease of fitting of socks but they are a little pricey.
Thanks for the help. We basically get to the resort and park the car in an indoor car park for the week. I’ll look into socks and see about hiring chains.
Looking forward to the journey albeit with a few more stops than last year’s Volvo had!

I'm planning to buy a P, mainly because I didn't like the look of thew aeros online. However I did see the aeros for the first time at the Cambridge showroom the other day, and actually thought they looked much better in real life... now thinking do I stick with a P or go back to the LR AWD with aeros? decisions decisions!

I did exactly the same. Bought the kit before we had the car, tried it but preferred the look of the Aeros. They look very light grey on the website, but in person they are much darker and look very cool contrasted against the white body paint.

Reactions: Cogarch
I'm planning to buy a P, mainly because I didn't like the look of thew aeros online. However I did see the aeros for the first time at the Cambridge showroom the other day, and actually thought they looked much better in real life... now thinking do I stick with a P or go back to the LR AWD with aeros? decisions decisions!
Have you seen underneath the aero caps? the 18" wheels are actually pretty nice. You can always take off the aeros even if you don't like them. Getting a P just for the wheels seems a bit extreme.

Have you seen underneath the aero caps? the 18" wheels are actually pretty nice. You can always take off the aeros even if you don't like them. Getting a P just for the wheels seems a bit extreme.

I agree entirely with this. The only reason to get the P is for the performance fun in my opinion.

The 18 inch wheels look fine with Aero caps on, look even better with Aero caps off (I’m still keeping them on though), provide a more compliant ride on UK roads and help give better range vs the bigger wheels.

All very subjective of course but I wouldn’t personally pay the P premium for the wheels.

I’m a bit of a wheel snob and, as many are, I was initially split over the 18”ers. Aeros or not..... hmmmm. Like others, I’ve got the wheel hub and nuts kit and will decide on Thursday at pickup time.

I initially thought the car looks ‘under-wheelled’ on the 18s. Yet without the covers and on a white car, there’s a certain track day look to it for me. That thing when you turn up at a track with your big pimpy alloys but the quick cars are all on smaller wheels with little fanfare about them, just super quick! The way they’ look a bit vanilla without the covers looks a bit Q.

That said, I’m waiting for the outcome on a PPi claim so I may indulge in some aftermarket at some point.

Yep, makes no financial sense whatsoever. If it’s just based on the Aeros, I’d get the LR (save £5k), sell the Aeros and buy some new wheels.

based on the lease costs and my tax position, the overall cost of the P for me works out at only £42 per month more than the LR / £1512 over the term of the lease

Also as I'll be leasing, I need to keep the original wheels on the car, so makes no financial sense to purchase new ones.

Of course, the extra performance of the P will be nice every now and then - so not just the wheels, but I am now reconsidering based on seeing the aeros for real.

I'm aware of dangers with potholes on the 20" P tyres, but for those who have driven both, is there much of a difference to the ride compared to the 18" aero?

p.s. My ideal order would have been the LR with the 19" alloys, but alas that has been taken away from us by Tesla :(

Reactions: jimbo_hippo