Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aero wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have to agree with a lot of people, they are not attractive. Considering my daily commute of around 100-140 miles (Depending on which clients I go to), I would have to stick with the more attractive tires. If Tesla came out with a version of the Silver spoke performance wheel with a dark material filling the holes between spokes, I would be interested.

I have to agree with a lot of people, they are not attractive. Considering my daily commute of around 100-140 miles (Depending on which clients I go to), I would have to stick with the more attractive tires. If Tesla came out with a version of the Silver spoke performance wheel with a dark material filling the holes between spokes, I would be interested.

Ugh, it's showing that it is 3:15 A.M. here. I meant to say "attractive wheels". Maybe if I wasn't tired, I would figure out how to edit my previous post. :p

So do you think the LRR tires like the Michelin Energy will add much to the range of the S over and above the standard Goodyear tire that the TireRack does not consider to be LRR tires? As a Signature buyer and without the Aero wheels, I can't decide whether to just go straight to the 19" wheels that I personally like better or take the standard 21" wheels with the thought of selling them down the road and changing over to the 19". The other complicating problem is that you can't buy the 19" wheels seperately at this time. In other words, Tesla will not at this time, sell you a second set of wheels. Maybe a few months down the road they will, but right now no. That leaves into question what the cost would be to convert your car from 21" to 19" too. if the tires are close to a $1000 for four and the wheels are $1000, that is $2000 total.

Aftermarket opportunity? Certainly something better looking could be designed, for those who care. Anyone want to try an experiment? Some heat shrink out door window insulation film kit would create a clear aero cover and you could see if it makes any real difference. It would be a cheap test.

I'm with you. It shouldn't be too difficult to make polycarbonate "hub caps". The hardest issue is probably mounting them. But the heat shrink film is probably an inexpensive proof of concept test.

What's going on? The aero wheels are no longer on the Tesla site. They were gone from our saved design so we checked options and pricing and they are not there either.

This is a problem for us as we need the extra range

The aero wheels haven't been available in early June I think but just disappeared from the design studio. They were having supply issues so won't be available at launch.

Read the discussion in this thread starting here
320 mile wheels

Talked to an employee at the Fremont drive event that said in no uncertain terms "they have been discontinued" (don't they have to start in order to be discontinued? - anyway...) due to a supplier problem. They hope to be able to offer them at some point in the future, but would likely have to find a different supplier for them. If I read correctly between the lines, it didn't seem like that would happen anytime soon.

Semi contrary to trnsl8tr I talked to both George Franz and an engineer about the wheels.

They are coming. unknown when.
The design is done.
Molds are made.
Suppliers have been difficult
Need to find someone to pain them the way they want.
The wheels take the cd of the Model S to .21
They are coming. unknown when. Don't hold your breath.

Since cd is measured by different countries an different ways and even different wind tunnels (some have moving floor and some spin wheels and they all do even that in different ways). So no standards create a lot of "fudge factor"and even though the results are published for all to see, experts still argue the best way to test.
On top of that that time changes the data relevance (like the new EPA cycle testing) So even GM has acknowledged that the EV1 would not test as well now.