TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Aero wheels

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by richkae, Oct 3, 2011.

1. nrcooled

nrcooled P#8946 VIN 03225

I really would like to know the bolt pattern and offset for the Tesla Model S. Hopefully that information will be released soon. I am a wheel guy and I have a set of Advans that I would love to throw on the Tesla. They are lightweight 20" wheels that have a gorgeous concave face that I think would compliment the S very well.

ADVAN Wheels - AVS Model T5

22 lbs for the 20" wheel

2. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

Not to mention what's actually measured (and arguably what's actually meaningful) is CdA. A has to be divided out to get Cd, but different people have different ways of defining A.

3. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

4. KBF

KBF Model X owner (formerly Cdn Signature Model S)

5. Chgd Up

Chgd Up Sig 1004

#385 Chgd Up, Dec 29, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2012
    Tested some simple disk wheel covers. They're not too pretty but reduce energy consumption about a 6.5% at 60 mph. I was cautious not to use the brakes and over heat the rotors as they have no vents at all. I will need to do some more extensive testing speed vs energy consumption and possibly measure rotor temperatures with & without covers after a stop.
    wheelcovers.jpg

• Funny x 1
  6. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Dead image. Looks like you linked a mail attachment. Try downloading the image and reuploading to the forum?

7. Chgd Up

Chgd Up Sig 1004

Thanks, should be there now.

8. Ceilidh

Ceilidh Member

Los Gatos/Santa Cruz Mountains/Silicon Valley, CA
    where did you get the wheel covers and how do they attach to the wheels?

Very interested in this as if they can be added or removed easily might be something to place in the trunk or frunk for use only on long road trips. Any comments on this possibility would be welcomed.

Cheers.

9. WarpedOne

WarpedOne Supreme Premier

Try painting the covers in very dark matte gray, similar to dusty rubber. They/car may end up looking very wicked :D
    To improve cooling: try adding half-circle holes around the perimeter, an inch in diameter and an inch apart. Paint the wheels in black, to make the holes hard to see.

10. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Maybe painting the Tesla logo radiating out from the center like spokes? Looks good.

11. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

Great work, I too would like details. Definitely test before adding any holes, you may not need them.

12. jerry33

jerry33 (S85-3/2/13 traded in) X LR: F2611##-3/27/20

I'd like to know where you got them as well, and maybe some pictures of the wheel-facing side to see the attachment points.

13. lolachampcar

lolachampcar Well-Known Member

Hey Chgd Up (or should I say Dr. Emmitt Brown)
    Whatchadoin with those Dewars in the background?

14. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

800px-Pizza_pan.JPG

15. walla2

walla2 Member

Nice work. It would be cool to have them as others mentioned for long distance runs to maximize range. Please keep us informed of your discoveries.

16. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Chgd how are they attached?

17. Chgd Up

Chgd Up Sig 1004

They are held on by 5 5/16-18 screws. I didn't like drilling into the alloy wheels as this would weaken them and cause a stress riser. They are threaded into fastener mount cable ties which are attached to the 19" rim spokes. The issue with this setup is centering the covers I was very careful in the spacing to center them and prevent imbalance.

JRP you are right they are 21" pie pans, however 21" pans are not exactly 21" in outside diameter they are about 21.5" which puts them just outside the rim lip, which I had hoped to use to center the covers. A 21" disk would be optimal, I know Mooneyes will custom make them, but they would be a bit more than $15 ea.

wheel2.jpg

18. markb1

markb1 Active Member

Regarding venting the wheels, I noticed that the car covers sold by Tesla have mesh over the driver side front wheel. Not sure if the passenger side is the same.

Model S Indoor Car Cover Tesla Motors

• Informative x 1
  19. 4sevens.com

4sevens.com Member

That is such a dope idea. All black would make the car look so awesome. I'm going to have to try this!

20. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

I wonder if you could take the pans to a machine shop or fabricating shop and have them cut down, probably wouldn't cost much. Clever use of the zip ties, I was wondering about using a J bolt that would hook behind the spokes and then tighten it down with a nut on the pan face. Then you wouldn't have to cut the zip ties off each time.