Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aero wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Or, put another way: At my 5 c/kWh off-peak rate for electricity, I will need to drive more than 355 Mm (almost 18 years worth of driving) to recover the cost of the aero wheels.
Or even another way: at $100 per pair of shoes that are good for 1000 miles, I'd need to drive more than a million miles to recover the cost of the car.

Some people just don't get it.

Aero1.jpg

Aero2.jpg

Or even another way: at $100 per pair of shoes that are good for 1000 miles, I'd need to drive more than a million miles to recover the cost of the car.

I'm not buying the Model S in order to maximise the use of the dollars in my bank account. I'm doing it to reduce my carbon emissions.

My current car which I've had for 11 years and will replace with a Model S this year, does 410 miles without effort.

Equipped with the Michelin Primacy Tires and Aero Wheels (resulting in a 1.03 X 1.03 increase in driving range, or 6.1% total), 85kWh Model S drivers go 281 miles instead of 265, all other things being equal.

If I'm going to be borrowing money over 5 years to buy a Model S, I'm going to make sure each charge takes it as far as possible.

I can walk at most 7 km/h, while I typically drive at 100 km/h. The speed limit of the car is 200 km/h. There is a lot of value in this extra speed.

The aero wheels do not change the speed at which I can drive the car. Which part of this don't you understand?

In yesterday's conference call Elon mentioned that with the Aero wheels, the Model S becomes the most aerodynamic car in production.

Musk transcript snip"
It's a whole logical things actually and then new wheels, the aero wheels which improve range and give us actually by far the lowest (Inaudible) any car production. There is whole bunch of cool stuff and then we like to unbundled some things like the performance package which required by whole bunch of things in addition to the 0 to 60 time.

Stopped by our local store tonight. Thought I'd share what the aeros look like. Note, these are beefier than I thought they'd be, likely due to the weight they have to support.

Alloys...

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

They also had the new 19" turbines in too. I'll be getting a set of these with all seasons or winter treads to boot...

image.jpg

image.jpg

Anyone else comment on how the new wheels have Tesla "T"'s on them?
Yes :
@SCW-Greg
Well this interesting. These display models have the same "raised T" that the early models of the 19" and 21" wheels have at the Bellevue store. Production wheels don't have the "raised T". I wonder if this just another "early display model" repeat, or if they're changing the style.

What happened to the guy who used pizza pans on his wheels? I'm hoping for a solution where you can snap something on when you need extra range, like on a road trip. I don't think I would want to roll with aero wheels all the time for aesthetic reasons.

What happened to the guy who used pizza pans on his wheels? I'm hoping for a solution where you can snap something on when you need extra range, like on a road trip. I don't think I would want to roll with aero wheels all the time for aesthetic reasons.

I think the areo wheels look great. My problem is with the $2500. That seems very steep.

I am ordering these Aero 19" wheels on my MS. But I would sure like to see a few REAL photos of them on MS. Not a generated rendition. Believe it or not, I can't seem to find a SINGLE PHOTO of MS with the Aero 19" wheels! Am I going to be the first customer to actually order these?? Somebody please post real photos of your car with the Aero 19" wheels and let us know if you are noticing any increased efficiency or range. Thanks!

I am ordering these Aero 19" wheels on my MS. But I would sure like to see a few REAL photos of them on MS. Not a generated rendition. Believe it or not, I can't seem to find a SINGLE PHOTO of MS with the Aero 19" wheels! Am I going to be the first customer to actually order these?? Somebody please post real photos of your car with the Aero 19" wheels and let us know if you are noticing any increased efficiency or range. Thanks!

There is one just a few posts up thread
Aero wheels - Page 47