Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aero wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I saw the Aero 19s in the Burlingame store yesterday. They looked rather nice! I'm tempted to swap my vanilla silver 19s (curb-rash-free) for the Aeros if Tesla takes the old ones and offers a good discount; should ask on my next visit.

Good idea. Though I won't trade my 21's for them, these could be good winter wheels too.

Only... I wonder why they went for a deep dark blackish/brown for the base color? Was I seeing things, or were these really not quite black?
If so, they won't match most of the colors of the Model S very well.

Only... I wonder why they went for a deep dark blackish/brown for the base color? Was I seeing things, or were these really not quite black?
If so, they won't match most of the colors of the Model S very well.

They weren't quite black but, at a casual glance, they can pass for dark gray/black. I think they'll look fine with my green.

They get me what I was looking for when I was considering powder-coating my silver 19s; cool(er) dark wheels which are incidentally more functional too.

No, I took those pictures on page 47 of this thread, in our local store. I touched them, they're real.
The picture color is pretty accurate, tho a little warm (kelvin).

Greg, I think you are talking about your pictures of the wheels in the store. Great pictures of the wheels, and I also saw the wheels in the store. But I am asking to see a real photo of a Model S car with the Aero wheels on it. I haven't found a photo anywhere, just the computer renderings from the design studio. Thanks, and sorry for the confusion. :biggrin:

Checked with Tesla Burlingame. Apparently, these wheels are not available for sale "after the fact" yet and can only be obtained from the factory with new cars.

When the wheels are posted for sale online at shop.teslamotors.com, that's an indication that service centers have some inventory to work with. Current owners can get them installed at that time.

No firm commitment on my trade-in discount suggestion though :)

Greg, I think you are talking about your pictures of the wheels in the store. Great pictures of the wheels, and I also saw the wheels in the store. But I am asking to see a real photo of a Model S car with the Aero wheels on it. I haven't found a photo anywhere, just the computer renderings from the design studio. Thanks, and sorry for the confusion. :biggrin:

Oh I see. Yeah I'd like to see them on, in real too. The computer generated images just don't quite cut it.

FYI - I posted this in the other Aero thread. Pic shot by a DS in Rockville, MD....

Aaron

1175155_10100266052026429_230712070_n.jpg

Grendal, I have somewhat shelved the the aero-covers for a couple of reasons: Although they gave a significant range increase 5-6% in highway driving I never perfected an easy installation removal system. The 5 screw hold down system was time consuming to install and remove and was causing some damage to the wheels. It would be possible to develop some sort of quick connect system.

Perhaps more importantly I also found that I could easily affect a 5% improvement just through driving style and speed with no modifications to the car at all. With time I have found the range estimation system to be very accurate and that I could learn to drive to the desired range within reason.

I'd certainly be happy to pass the experiment along if anyone is interested.

Last edited:
I guess I'm the contrarian: I think the aeros look sweet. I probably would have bought them if they'd been available when I ordered the car. They weren't, and I don't think I'd get good trade-in value on my scratched-up rims, so oh well. If my wheels ever die I guess I'll get them.