Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aero wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Problem with these aero rims is they try to look as 'normal' rims and end up looking silly.
It is not hard to make a good aerodynamic rim. It is hard, bordering impossible, to create good aerodynamic wheel that looks like a spoked or star/turbine rim.
Good aero-rim is near-flat / a bit convex with in the center with as big solid center part as brake-cooling allows for.

Tesla should go with 'honest' design that doesn't mimic aggressive turbine designs, something along these lines:

ALY58717U.jpg
3532-042-wheel-profile-480.jpg
2008-honda-civic-hybrid-4-door-sedan-wheel-cap_100276399_l.jpg
udx44980f.jpg
161442892_90-91-92-93-honda-accord-se-15-aluminum-wheel-rim-.jpg
161442690_92-93-honda-accord-wheel-rim-15x5-1-2-alloy-s8.jpg

IMHO it could / would look just fine:
ms_aero_1.png

ms_aero_2.png

Edit: found the pie-pan-solution.
Couldn't it be printed by 3D? That way a snap-on-system on the wheel covers can be aplied at the same time.

The problem with the pie pan was there was no easy way to mount it on the wheel. So the first thing to do would be to develop a mounting system that doesn't damage the wheels.

On the Dutch forumpart there 's discussion going on about the energy consumption of the Model S, but so far no one has any clue what the difference is between the standard 19" and the Aero 19". /…
There’s a post on that topic in this thread:

Why the 19 Aero Rims will Never Sell

Extending EPA range by 3% could easily extend real highway range by more. EPA range is city/highway combined. City range is meaningless. Real highway range is mostly about aerodynamics. Throwing out the city start/stop component could bump the boost from the aero wheels higher than 3%, lets say 4% or 5%. But that's still mostly at 55mph. At 80mph the aerodynamic component is much more important - at 80mph the difference might be 6% or 7%
Now you have a difference that matters. Only testing will tell. Testing at 80mph - the speed people really want to drive.

The purpose of the aerodynamic wheels isn't to save money - it is to save time. Better efficiency/more range means fewer stops, less time stopped on a long trip.
If you are going somewhere without superchargers it matters a lot.

I agree the price is steep and I don't like the way they look.

[Source: Why the 19 Aero Rims will Never Sell]

The problem with the pie pan was there was no easy way to mount it on the wheel. So the first thing to do would be to develop a mounting system that doesn't damage the wheels.

I have an idea in my head, but need to find a way to design it. I know some basic principals of sketch-up but need put more time in it.
Are there any other free software programs similar to Autocad, because i know drawing with autocad a bit better.

The type of plastic wil decide wether it will leave any damage-traces or not.

Last edited:
Greetings Everyone and Happy New Year! My First Post On TMC, I just accepted delivery of my Metallic Grey Model S 85 with Standard Wheels and Michelin Tires upgrade. I then saw on the Tesla Gear and Accessories they had the SottoZero Winter Tires with the Aero Wheels available. I ordered them through the Denver Service Center who then had them Shipped to me From The Seattle Service Center. They arrived about a week before my car and within 4 days I had Bozeman TireRama swap the wheel sets to have the needed traction for the super early and deep snows we have received already this winter. They drive like a dream even on wet, icy or snow covered roads. Here are a few pix. :biggrin:
_MGL0126.jpg
_MGL0170 - Copy.jpg
IMGL0061.jpg