Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aero wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I like and would have gotten them a year ago if they had been available. Easy to clean. For safety you want the shiny spokes to indicate the car is in motion or not in motion.
--

Me too. However, after seeing them in person, it appears they stick out past the tires and will be very susceptible to curb damage. Not on the rim flange like the 21" tires, but in the disk part. I'd like the clear hub caps that were posted a while back.

aeros.jpg

Image source: invisik in post (#198) in this thread: Cool Model S Photos - Page 20

In my ongoing quest to shamelessly plug the Aero Wheels a new opportunity has presented itself :rolleyes:

Heh, yes, we decided for the Aero's and we LOVE them. DrGuest's pictures are probably better, but the gray paint and Aero's really completes the "spaceship" look. They look waaay better in person--go and see some at your local Service Center.

I also bought from the gentleman on the system here the red T's for the wheel center caps, although haven't installed them yet, but I think it will also enhance the wheel look.

-m

Thinking of ordering this winter aero package from Tesla. I guess they look ok.

I would not personally recommend them for winter use. I had a loaner with the aero winter tire combo last January and had problems with snow getting jammed in the fairly narrow opening around the rim near where it meets the tire. It threw the balance off horribly and was difficult to clear with my snow brush/scraper. Only a problem, I suppose, if you drive through deep snow (which I had to do).

I would not personally recommend them for winter use. I had a loaner with the aero winter tire combo last January and had problems with snow getting jammed in the fairly narrow opening around the rim near where it meets the tire. It threw the balance off horribly and was difficult to clear with my snow brush/scraper. Only a problem, I suppose, if you drive through deep snow (which I had to do).

And the the tires that come with the package have been shown to be more of a Texas winter tire. However, you can order the wheels alone from the Service Centre.

It doesn't really snow though in Seattle. If it ever ices it doesn't matter what tires you have because other cars will slide into your car. Would you still recommend true winter tires like R2 or Xi3 or are good performance winter tires better? Thanks.

I may just take the all seasons off the regular 19" Tesla rims I have then and skip aeros.

We've been driving on the "winter" Pirellis since we first got our car two years ago. As noted above, they are not serious winter tires; after looking at Tirerack ratings I consider them more "performance all-season" that do OK in minor snow - so I think they work well for the Seattle area, especially if you have a pair of chains for winter and don't mind less-than-perfect traction in summer (but I think it's good enough, especially for those of us without the Performance package). We've got over 25k on the Pirellis and there's still tread left. I've been happy; in fact the service center is putting on a fresh pair for us today (we leave on a 10,000-mile road trip next week).

However, we have a loaner that has the Michelin Primacy mxm4s on it. I gotta admit, the steering feels sharper with the Michelins (just as I noticed a loss of sharpness when I replaced my original 21's with Continentals with the 19" Pirellis). Though the loaner car is 2 years newer, so the difference might be more than just the tires. (They were otherwise the same; both S85 with standard 19" wheels).

They don't appear to be aero wheels, so not really appropriate for this thread.

It is true JRP3, don´t appear, but only that, I have it many time in my last car and they are more aerodynamic than much others, due to flat shape, surface mostly covered causing "Brembo" heating problems, ;)

But the real cool thing should be... could be possible put the rims you like in your Tesla and cover properly the inner side of the wheel in order to stop air flows, therefore increase its efficiency and maintain nice aspect.

It is true JRP3, don´t appear, but only that, I have it many time in my last car and they are more aerodynamic than much others, due to flat shape, surface mostly covered causing "Brembo" heating problems, ;)

But the real cool thing should be... could be possible put the rims you like in your Tesla and cover properly the inner side of the wheel in order to stop air flows, therefore increase its efficiency and maintain nice aspect.

For brake cooling you would not want to stop all airflow